Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing brake pads without surfacing rotors.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I’ve never bother getting discs machined on a Commodore. Brand new discs are cheap enough to not bother with machining.

Yeah. Usually, when the pads are 'worn to limits', the rotors are as well.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The issue is that sometimes they won't vibrate until the new pads are fitted, as has happened with me on a couple of occasions. My old garage would always machine autos, my local now tends not too unless asked, regardless of the trans.
Personally I prefer to not take the chance for the extra $50 it costs.
There's no logic to that that I can think of that justifies machining. If the rotors were warped or had thickness variations they would vibrate on the old pads too. And if the problem is just caused by the new pads not liking the old pad residue then all they need is a clean.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's no logic to that that I can think of that justifies machining. If the rotors were warped or had thickness variations they would vibrate on the old pads too. And if the problem is just caused by the new pads not liking the old pad residue then all they need is a clean.
Could be but back then I went to garages to have brake work done. So unless they did a Shane 3800 and did a pad slap, I'm not sure why they shuddered. Old mech said should always machine or replace and I have done that pretty much ever since.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

It is due to deposits. The deposits are about .1mm in the surface and can't be cleaned out.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Could be but back then I went to garages to have brake work done. So unless they did a Shane 3800 and did a pad slap, I'm not sure why they shuddered. Old mech said should always machine or replace and I have done that pretty much ever since.

Since when did I say I (pad slap) cars?
I said we will do the job without machining the rotors for a customer but we wont warrant the job for vibration or squeal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Since when did I say I (pad slap) cars?
At work we always explain, without a machine you risk noise and vibration and you don't get warranty without a machine. But I've pad slapped many cars and if you use the same pad again you never have an issue.
Ummmm, I could be mistaken but this suggests I'm not........

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not unusual. Soon he'll post a heap of technical **** about doing brake jobs and maybe the odd youtube video to obfuscate, muddy the waters to try and cover over his **** up. Much like checking a cam when installing it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ummmm, I could be mistaken but this suggests I'm not........

are you thick? it literally states in that comment that we machine rotors at work unless people don't want the machine so what is the result of people refusing the machine on their discs?.............. oh yea that's right losh wins a gold star on his work book because he got the answer right. if a customer requests no machine then he gets a pad slap.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
are you thick? it literally states in that comment that we machine rotors at work unless people don't want the machine so what is the result of people refusing the machine on their discs?.............. oh yea that's right losh wins a gold star on his work book because he got the answer right. if a customer requests no machine then he gets a pad slap.
Well considering your question was "when did I ever pad slap?". I was just merely reminding you of what you said. So best get off the grass man.....