Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing dead ECU with second hand one

Erad2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 3.6 Sedan 5spd Auto
Somewhat different issue showing up on my VZ V6 auto wagon with 275,000km and has for a few months. About 10 min after starting it gives SVS alert then clears after a short while. Sometimes it repeats it another couple of times and sometimes it will also give Check Oil alert, which also clears in less that a minute.

What's going on, or off? TIA
As freddy1333 said most likely oil pressure sensor. It was on mine when it happened.

Freddy1333

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
I replaced that when it really was faulty some moths ago. The warning was different tho I can't recall exactly how just now. Why does it show the SVS 1 -3 times 10 min after starting and then clear?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
$30 part and 10mins of you time.
You do need a deep set socket and size escapes me but it was either 27mm or 36mm. Or neither of those.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I replaced that when it really was faulty some moths ago. The warning was different tho I can't recall exactly how just now. Why does it show the SVS 1 -3 times 10 min after starting and then clear?
The only way to know now is to have it plugged into a high end interface which will be able to display conditions of each module and sensor. Way outside the ability of a forum.

Erad2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 3.6 Sedan 5spd Auto
Not sure about that one. I have a cheap Elm 327 that I got off Ebay a few years back. Has been good at displaying any logged faults by plugging into the OBD2 port. Maybe it might help you too?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
from my experience svs codes are stored in the cluster
so you need a scan tool that can read cluster faults

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Not sure about that one. I have a cheap Elm 327 that I got off Ebay a few years back. Has been good at displaying any logged faults by plugging into the OBD2 port. Maybe it might help you too?
I agree, any cheap OBD adaptor could be used to monitor any and all sensors connected to the engine. Free software running off your phone is perfect for this.
With the SVS message being intermittent, it could be a sensor failing or the wiring connected to a sensor. Or something completely different.
I’ve personally replaced my oil pressure sensor 3 times due to slow response or complete failure, I’ve owned the car almost 10 years now.
Any sensor can fail without setting an error, the EOP sensor is a good example anything between 0.5 - 4.5v won’t set a code and they always seem to fail between those voltages, it’s usually a dead short caused by oil or coolant getting inside the connector that will set a DTC

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
from my experience svs codes are stored in the cluster
so you need a scan tool that can read cluster faults
Scantool not required for current faults, just use the built in engineering mode.
The cluster can also store history codes and they require a scantool or aldl cable to retrieve and clear

nielolee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
the bypass i made cures all of the ecu symptoms that op is experiencing, if vehicle is started within a few seconds of turning ignition to reds
it cures the service vehicle soon, extremely low fuel. as well as the intermittent no crank
to link a used ecu it must be unlinked before removing from donor vehicle
then you need the security number of the bcm
it is much more difficult than earlier models
Really, can I get rid of the SVS with your bypass method?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Really, can I get rid of the SVS with your bypass method?
in this case the svs was caused because the ecu could not report the fuel gauge level to the cluster
you need to find out why your svs is being displayed