Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing dead ECU with second hand one

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
to link a used ecu it must be unlinked before removing from donor vehicle
then you need the security number of the bcm
it is much more difficult than earlier models
That's obvs another reason a mechanic would want the 3 module set to swap I guess. I think there a few services that can remove this security too? I think Envyous and Injectronics are also able to do this.

Erad2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 3.6 Sedan 5spd Auto
Thanks guys. I will contact the couple of places and see what they say. If it costs too much or is going to be hard I will try Louts bypass method and see if can pick up a set if I see one in the future. Ive been so far with my old girl I guess I just want her to go a bit longer. :)

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
So Lout you could simply pull a relay apart, ditch the guts, solder 3 wires to the terminals and run them out of a small hole in the side of relay case to said locations. Would look factory to the untrained eye if good heat shrink or sleeves were used. Would be great if that were available to purchase to try before purchasing an ECM anyway. For those that are scared of wiring.
A few easy but useful things I’ve done were using the electric window switch power to the RAP circuit, radio turns on when I unlock the car and normal otherwise.
Or installing the underbonnet lamp to the illumination relay and earth to the bonnet switch. Lamp only turns on when bonnet is open and turns off with the bcm timeout. Not sure if everyone is even aware we had a factory location on the bonnet for a lamp

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
So Lout you could simply pull a relay apart, ditch the guts, solder 3 wires to the terminals and run them out of a small hole in the side of relay case to said locations.
that would either leave starter motor constantly powered up or allow car to start in gear depending how you wire it
i have run the 4 wires in a thin spaghetti tube up to underbonnet relay box and added extra relay there
would take some one very familiar with commodore to notice it, unless they open relay box, but i added a tag with explanation and wiring schematic for anyone else who happens to work on this car
spoke to the guy at work today and car is working fantastic
$25 and packet of chocolate biscuits for my mod
vs rebuilt ecu. $1,100 and car off the road for at least one month

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
the bypass i made cures all of the ecu symptoms that op is experiencing, if vehicle is started within a few seconds of turning ignition to reds
it cures the service vehicle soon, extremely low fuel. as well as the intermittent no crank
to link a used ecu it must be unlinked before removing from donor vehicle
then you need the security number of the bcm
it is much more difficult than earlier models
What Iout said is correct about the unlinking the ecu.
You need the BCM security code, and unlink old ecu from security system, and them can link other ECU, using Tech2 or similar.

Freddy1333

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Somewhat different issue showing up on my VZ V6 auto wagon with 275,000km and has for a few months. About 10 min after starting it gives SVS alert then clears after a short while. Sometimes it repeats it another couple of times and sometimes it will also give Check Oil alert, which also clears in less that a minute.

What's going on, or off? TIA

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Somewhat different issue showing up on my VZ V6 auto wagon with 275,000km and has for a few months. About 10 min after starting it gives SVS alert then clears after a short while. Sometimes it repeats it another couple of times and sometimes it will also give Check Oil alert, which also clears in less that a minute.

most likely failing oil pressure sensor