Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing door windows

Kurhas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S
both left door windows got smashed and i am trying to put new windows in. i already removed the door cards, speakers, the water deflector but am i meant to remove the window regulator or not. i really dont want to start drilling them rivots out. also one of the replacement glass has the metal runner attached broken, can they come off the glass and reuse my old or do i need to get another??
any help would be great ;)

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
Metal Runner Broken??? You mean the rail the runners slide in that is attached to glass??? It can be changed, just be careful and take your time.....................

Right for the job at hand... to remove the window glass, First you are going to have to remove the regulator, mainly to facilitate installing new glass...............Once you have door basically stripped, drill out the four rivets, and remove regulator assembly, then the fun starts, if you look closely inside outter door rubber (between doors), you will notice a notch near the top of door, there is a Allen Key head in the that limit glass raise height....remove this screw. Then making sure the mirror is removed off door, you will find 3 (i think from memory) 10mm head bolts that hold the inner door rail against the glass, ovnce this is loose inside running bar can be removed out of door...........Now then this is the tricky bit,

You need to pull the door rubber out of its grooves, along the top of door, and down door jamb at mirror end, becareful no to break rubber.....DO NOT RELEASE rubber on Outer edge of door.........

Now basically, you need to pull the rubber up UNTIL you can get the corner of the door, through the gap in the centre of the rubber......once the corner is through you can pull a complette piece of glass out, and put a new piece in.....UNTIL THIS Point, you WILL GET THE glass jambed and will find it difficult to remove past rubber limit......................

POINT...dont leave the rubber stretched out for extended period, the rubber will not come back to shape..........
Point.....Hex Head screw limiter in top of outer door jamb need now be replaced, assembly Tight as is....can get away without.
Point......Make sure to use nyloc nuts on window regulator assembly.
Point......When mounting Regulator, remember to seat glass runners first, and then attach door runner assemble.

Hope you can make sence of directions, just take your time and you will be right, the door rubber is going to be your biggest hurdle, once you figure how it goes, you will be right

Last edited:

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
also if you have the rattling window when its down like most vx/vt's do, add one washer each on the bottom two bolts (where the rivets use to be) i did this and it stopped the annoying rattle you get when driving with the window down and shutting the door with window down.

dastasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks Nitrowarrior, this helped me to get the job done... nothing on youtube yet to help with this yet...

Anyone else referring to this, at the point "Now basically, you need to pull the rubber up UNTIL you can get the corner..."

When putting the new window in you need to pull the corner of the rubber up as well.
I found lubing the rubber with a bit of silicone spray helpful as well as using a flat metal ruler to keep pushing the rubber back up as you keep the window level and slide it down bit by bit.
Once you have the new window down inside the door, then it will take some maneuvering of the inner track to get both the inner slides to engage.
Once the slides are engaged and the inner track is bolted back in to place with the three bolts the window will slide up and down freely, with no support from the regulator.

Obviously reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Regulator goes back in. I used large rivets and washers.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The rivets are cheap to buy but are only really there in the first place to speed up the build process in the factory.

An ordinary rivet gun will do it.

Using nuts and bolts is a fiddly but practical long term option.