Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing extension housing seal

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Need to replace extension housing seal on a vy v6 automatic ute was wondering what was involved i guess undo centre bearing coupler and bolts joining to diff is the exhaust goit to be in the way though

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Take the tailshaft out and replacement is easy. May need to remove catback, depends on what exhaust you have

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
yeah think it might be in the way got a two into one

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Shed Ornament
If its the same a early 4L60e, i think i dented the side and then leavered it out with a seal leaver. Put some vas on the seal to stop it burning while it settles in and fills with oil. They tap in fairly easy with a hammer. Just work your way around the edge.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yip pretty simple job, remove the centre bearing bolts and back coupler and remove the tail shaft, u may have to lower the exhaust to get it out then its just removing the old seal and tapping in the new one, its very tight to get in a big socket or a correct diameter pipe will make it much easer, watch out for a bit of trans fluid when u remove the shaft don't get it in your eyes .

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
was reading on a another thread the seals are hard to get out pretty straight forward to get in was the oposite for me messed around with a screw driver for a bit then like half a minute straight out with a claw hammer ..messed around ages trying to get the new one in ended up munting it had to order a new one it wascheap might of been a dud noticed it looked identical to the one that came out so proberly would of ended up leaking anyway

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Removal of the exhaust will make it a cleaner/easier job,
[do it once, do it properly]
If you do use a screw driver or the claw of hammer to pry it out,
Place either a very thick rag/cloth or a piece or timber under the removal tool so not to damaged the housing, and make sure you don't damage the seal seat in the housing,
when re-fitting/installing the new seal, place a thin film of gasket cement or similar on the outer back edge of the new seal,
this will make it slide in easier, and will also hold it in, ever tho it will be a snug fit.
When you re-fit the tail shaft yoke, place a thin film of grease on the new seal, and on the end of the yoke,
so it does not invert/bind or damaged the new seal when you slide it in.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yip you have to take your time to get it in smashing one side will destroy it, as above just a smear of RTV in the seal housing for a good seal, i just used a hammer and held one side and taped a bit at a time around it, the strongest part is on the edge so if your trying to use a socket you must have a big set as mine wasn't even bigger enough, if your try to put it in with a object u need to get it as close to the diameter or u will end up damaging it.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Decided to put it in the freezer see if ic can get it to shrinnk a smidgen got a phone call completely forgot i put it in there looked everywhere gave up ended up putting the one i munted slightly in there fingers crossed it does the job only ended up finding the one i put in the freezer when i got ice for a drink