Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing front k frame vy ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Mentioned on the report the sway bar control arms have movement rectify worn or missing bushing should i replace the whole control arms do they wear out or just the bushes

Sway bar and control arm are 2 seperate items.

The ball joints and bushes wear out in the control arms....You can buy replacement control arms through ebay for about $150, that have new ball joints and bushes fitted....I purchased a pair for the nieces VY about 6 months ago and so far she has had no complaints. So if I was you, that'd be the option I'd take

The sway bar bushes do wear out also....Not that common, but do wear out....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Not with everything unbolted from the K-frame....How many have you done? Me, lost count after 100+
If you jack off the sump the bar that runs across the front will not let you remove it. So you have to jack off the bell housing like I said and considering I work at a place that contracts to the biggest smash repair company I guarantee you I've done more crossmembers than you've had hot dinners. I just did an I30 front crossmember today lol tomorrow it might be a mazda 3 and that's for trade inbetween our retail service work.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
hey ant, all the ways mentioned will work depending how safe you feel under car.,

another way would be, raise front vehicle, place chaisis on jack stands, take engine mount bolts of, either raise engine with jack and block of wood under sump or use engine crane.

Place a metal bar across car on top of strut towers with a block of wood under it and using chain, seat belts or lifting straps, raise engine enough of krame to clear engine mounts and tie off engine in position to the metal bar.

Then take of what is connected from kframe as mentioned earlier and your done, brakes/struts/steering rack can stay with body out of the way, reverse what you did to put it all together.

While your there you might as well replace all the front suspension bushes, 99% chance is if they are just old factory rubber ones and done lots of kms they will be toast.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Anyone in perth that knows how to do them give me a hand for couple hungy?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you jack off the sump the bar that runs across the front will not let you remove it. So you have to jack off the bell housing like I said and considering I work at a place that contracts to the biggest smash repair company I guarantee you I've done more crossmembers than you've had hot dinners. I just did an I30 front crossmember today lol tomorrow it might be a mazda 3 and that's for trade inbetween our retail service work.

I think you need to go back to school and learn to read and comprehend what gets written....From what I am reading, you are selective in what you read and comprehend....

Nice to know you do smash repair company work...You have no idea exactly who I do work for, nor who I have done work for... So best stop beating your chest, so it can come out, instead of you collapsing it

Bit hard for you to do more K-frame swaps, than I've had hot dinners.....I have a hot dinner every night and I'd have kids older than you, so next attempt

So you did a I30 cross member and might be doing a Mazda 3 one....What's that got to do with a Commodore....Are they new models of Commodore, or are they the new range of Holdens that have come into the country, without anyone elses knowledge?

Last edited:

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Use one of these. Works well.

Attachments

• 0AF5215E-0655-456C-ABAF-E8B4A90BDD2D.png
    0AF5215E-0655-456C-ABAF-E8B4A90BDD2D.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 7B7A6AD1-B1F2-4C8E-8732-6E3DFC22E5D3.png
    7B7A6AD1-B1F2-4C8E-8732-6E3DFC22E5D3.png
    794.5 KB · Views: 190

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Found a mechanic willing to do it for $300 not having much luck lately so bit risky doing it myself thanks people

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Found a mechanic willing to do it for $300 not having much luck lately so bit risky doing it myself thanks people
good onya ant, its only money, especially if you didn't feel confident going thru with it

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
good onya ant, its only money, especially if you didn't feel confident going thru with it
especialy becuase i got no one to give me hand way i understand without the right tools its just about a two man job