Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing front seat plastic base surround on VE SS (non-powered seat)

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Hey all,

New guy here, just bought myself an 07 SS 6L manual, so thought I'd join up here :)

First thing I wanted to tackle was the previous owner ripped off the plastic surround that goes around the base of the front passenger seat. $85 from the local Holden dealership (if anyone has any better suggestions, I'm open!) and I had a brand new one to replace the one that was dangling.

There are 3 clips that go across the surround which lock it into place and then there's also the recliner wheel which holds the far end. Here's the old broken one:

xxNpFfy.jpg

83q0lx3.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures as I went, but I thought the info might still be useful to some. According to the guy at Holden, this happens a lot!

I'd advise to recline the seat back fully to make it more accessible. It also lets you see well into the recliner mechanism to give you a better visual of what's going on.

I found a couple of handy pics from another thread. The VE wheel looks very similar to this:

nTojZCo.jpg

There are no clips or springs or anything like that which need to be addressed first. It's simply a few plastic fingers going over the metal rod locking it into place, you just need to yank it to get it free.

I couldn't do it by hand so I got a long screw driver and put it between the fabric of the seat and the broken plastic surround (better than putting it directly behind the wheel and scratching everything) and then with a bit of levering, it popped out, no broken bits!

With the wheel off, the surround just comes right out. Now, getting the new one on was trickier than I'd thought at first.

There are 3 main lugs/clips that go across the plastic surround piece (see first pic) and 3 holes in the side of the seat fabric which expose 3 openings in the metal bracket. The holes in the metal bracket have a dog leg in them, with a larger/lower opening on the left and then a smaller/higher opening on the right.

To get these lugs in, you need to get all 3 lugs into the holes on the left side (can be a bit tricky to align them and push the entire piece inwards against the fabric at the same time) and then slide the entire plastic surround back towards the rear of the car so that the lugs end up on the right side, into the smaller holes on the metal bracket.

I drew a dodgy diagram (can't find a picture of the rail anywhere!):

OOHdHhP.png

And that's the hard part done!

3daJBcO.jpg

You might end up doing the same as I did and not notice there's another small plastic overhang piece at the back of the seat which might not be over the nearby metal piece. The plastic is flexible enough to kind of wrap it over and then it fits in snug.

K4713gF.jpg

Once its in, it is very satisfyingly solid, doesn't move at all.

Hope this is helpful, I did a bit of googling before starting and didn't find much on this model so its my contribution for now.

Next? Headlights and taillights :D Cheers!

Rosslyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega Commadore 2009
Can you PURCHASE parts for Omega COMMODORE 2009 broken Drivers seat casing support bracket

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Can you PURCHASE parts for Omega COMMODORE 2009 broken Drivers seat casing support bracket

Check with your local Holden parts outlet. Common problem on VE's.