Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing front studs

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hi,

Looking at replacing the front studs for longer ones, anyone know what the knurl diameter for them are? Looked at a few GTO forums and apparently the front and rears are different.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Have looked into this myself and found the following info courtesy of Nice Products
Front wheel stud knurl diameter for VT-VZ is 14.3mm
Part Numbers....Front Only
Standard Stud is part # NS381....48mm in length
Longer Stud is part # NS3400....73mm in length

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Have looked into this myself and found the following info courtesy of Nice Products
Front wheel stud knurl diameter for VT-VZ is 14.3mm
Part Numbers....Front Only
Standard Stud is part # NS381....48mm in length
Longer Stud is part # NS3400....73mm in length

Thanks for that mate. Have gone ahead an ordered some ARP studs, looks like they're the same as an Evo's and they ain't cheap haha

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Funny you mention that about the Evo.
When I was searching for info I do remember coming across something on another forum about them being the same.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Funny you mention that about the Evo.
When I was searching for info I do remember coming across something on another forum about them being the same.

Yeah, looked on the ARP site itself for compatible studs and it was a bit confusing as they didn't have that knurl size at all for Holdens.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Had a go at changing the studs myself and those hex bolts holding the hubs on are a pain to break free and undo. Anyone got tips? I unfortunately don't have air tools. Asked Holden about doing the job and they quoted $305 for just the studs and extra if they need to remove the hubs...

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Go buy yourself a set of inhex sockets, ratchet and breaker bar if you don't have one.

ATD-13785c.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Use an allen key and your hand.....Yes, they have loctite on them, but a few swift hits of an allen key with your hand loosens them off for me...

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Go buy yourself a set of inhex sockets, ratchet and breaker bar if you don't have one.

Got myself those inhex sockets and a ratcheting breaker.

Use an allen key and your hand.....Yes, they have loctite on them, but a few swift hits of an allen key with your hand loosens them off for me...

Lol there was no way those bolts were gonna crack loose with just an allen key and my hand. The ratcheting breaker bar I got made it so much easier to undo them.

Anyways I got the hubs out and swapped the studs but needed to cut about 1cm off so they don't poke out to far. All up took me about 3hrs to do both sides, would've been longer if I tried to pull the studs through the hub by hand but I hammered them in. If anyone is interested in the longer stud swap with high quality studs then the ARP 100-7717 studs are the ones to get.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Got myself those inhex sockets and a ratcheting breaker.

Lol there was no way those bolts were gonna crack loose with just an allen key and my hand. The ratcheting breaker bar I got made it so much easier to undo them.

Anyways I got the hubs out and swapped the studs but needed to cut about 1cm off so they don't poke out to far. All up took me about 3hrs to do both sides, would've been longer if I tried to pull the studs through the hub by hand but I hammered them in. If anyone is interested in the longer stud swap with high quality studs then the ARP 100-7717 studs are the ones to get.

I gather you were using short allen keys?