Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing gearbox and clutch VR

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
hey guys hopefully someone can help me explain whats going on with my car

i just got a vr v6 manual ute

the clutch i got in it is very hard to press down. its the way the car came when i bought it. a friend told me its probably a heavy clutch and its nothing to worry about. how can you tell the difference? to be honest the clutch does seem fine when driving but i think i have issues with the gearbox.

sometimes, usually just after the car has been started when i change into first or second gear i hear a loud metal grinding like noise. im not sure if its coz i didnt press hard enough on the clutch or its the gearbox itself. and to change into second gear its not as smooth as changing into 3rd or 4th gear. how much would it be for a new gearbox or to rebuild one?

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like either the clutch plate is on its last legs or it needs adjusting. Can't remember if you've got cable or hydraulic actuation but if cable it may need adjusting and if hydraulic it may need bleeding. There is also an adjustment for the clutch lever pivot. Usual cause of hard to shift gears is clutch not fully releasing...for the above reasons.
Good Luck.

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
so if i bled or adjusted the clutch, it would probably make it easier to change gears? i failed to mention this but the clutch squeaks when i press down on it and again when releases. im positive now that its a heavy duty clutch also.

its just ive noticed alot of clanking like sound coming from the gearbox when im changing gears. not loud but its there. another thing ive noticed is that the gearstick is starting to warmup quite a bit. and when i accelerate moderately to hard i can feel very warm air rush by my hand. specially in 4th gear. could a bad clutch be doing something bad to the gearbox?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
The squeaking noise you can hear when you depress the clutch pedal is likely to be because the clutch pedal pivot shaft is dry, grease it up and it should sort that out. Being a vr, your gearbox will be a borgwarner T5 and therefore will be cable operated and as hako has said, it may just need adjusting. It is also possible that if this cable is well worn it could be contributing to how heavy the clutch feels and may need replacing. Also if you can feel alot of warmth coming up through around the gear stick id be guessing that the rubber boot that mounts around the shaft and to the floor has possibly been removed.

94-VRCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs executive SS
iv also got a vr ute that has the same problem, but its some times tempermental to click into 1st and reverse, iv notice (which its only just started), when im driving in first, i go to 2nd, then i go back to first with out releasing the clutch, and it grinds like the clutch wasnt in, so i was thinking it could be slack in the cable, if so, how do i go about tightening it???

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Have you checked your gear box oil level mate, could be low ???

Or may need changing ??