Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing harmonic balancer. need bolt and torque help.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
Why tap it on, when a bolt that is 20mm longer than the crank bolt is all that is needed to start it and avoid stripping out crank threads, or doing some other damage??? Is that how they do them at Holden?

The guide I use states to torque the original bolt to 240ftlb, then break it free and insert the new bolt, which is torqued to 37ftlb, then tightened a further 140 degrees, to stretch it into the correct torque. I've only done around 15 of them but nothing has come loose yet.

cheers

i have no idea how holden does it!
an old techie from there showed me how to do it though
i dont like chasing bolts all day to fit one balancer if i got another ten cars to do i need to move my arse!~!
so ive worked out ways to do things on experience i have not either had these mess up or as a come back to the shop

i will note that a friend of mine has a different technique thats way quicker than mine
he oils the end of crank with air tool oil
heats inside of balancer with his gas torch so its warm too touch
smashes it on then puts old bolt in
ratlle gun till its lined up with other pulleys
then removes bolt and tourque sets new one
he does them in like 6 or 7 minutes depending on how lazy hes feeling
my way takes normally about 10 to 15 minutes
but i ananly line up the pulleys with a laser aligner

too me that seems rough just rattling it up instead of winding it in smoothly but
he hasnt had any come nack either WAIT LIES
he had one come back cause he pinched the crank seal into the pump housing
but on pulling it apart we found some metal wedged behind the balancer later proved to be
some chunks of spring washers off the becnch!~ that jackarse

anyway the settings i gave are the specification from a manual for this model car

the ve v8s use old bolt to push balancer on then new one too hold it in as you describe
but yeah you will need to be careful if using a hammer to TAP IT ON as stated be as gentle as possible to start it evenly
with the bolt

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
i started doing the job but cannot get the new one on because i dont have toe oversized bolt and tapping it didnt quite work
i also noticed the new balancer has a keyway where as the old one didnt... is it still right to go on ? or should i give yella terra a call.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Why tap it on, when a bolt that is 20mm longer than the crank bolt is all that is needed to start it and avoid stripping out crank threads, or doing some other damage??? Is that how they do them at Holden?

The guide I use states to torque the original bolt to 240ftlb, then break it free and insert the new bolt, which is torqued to 37ftlb, then tightened a further 140 degrees, to stretch it into the correct torque. I've only done around 15 of them but nothing has come loose yet.

cheers

This. and of course they are a torque to yield bolt, one use only.

give yella terra a call, but i think that keyway is normal. haven't studied mine yet so no help from me :p

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
i would ring yella terra and check you dont have one for a model with a keyway!~

the balancer inside whould look same as crank
some times you just remove keyway to fit them
but would check with retailer first

i did some research on this too
i found that in very problomatic balancers (for fitting standard one anyway same center piece)
sometimes you have to use some buuka rod and a thick washer and big nuts to physically wind the balancer on

buuka rod (probably not right spelling) is just the thread of a bolt with no head on it
sold at bolts shops
be sure too match correct thread of bolt too rod
get cut too length that fits between engine and fan/radiator

use of rod instructions (found in a vn manual who'd of thought):
put washer onto rod
fit one nut on by itself (A)
then fit nuts on there so they lock to eachother (B)
put it through balancer into crank shaft and wind it in by hand to crank using nuts(B)
when rod is in at about two thirds of crank bolt length
push washer untill touches balancer onto cranks shaft
wind nut (A) till holds washer flat onto balancer
then hold nuts (B) with shifter
and wind nut (A) until balancer on deep enough
remove rod
fit new bolt and tighten to spec

be careful not to go too far or may damage
be carfule to have only max depth of crank bolt (of rod) into crank

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
All the Powerbond 25% UD balancers do have a keyway as standard. It is no problem for you on a stock crank without a key fitted.

cheers