Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Heater Tap

boohsv

boohsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore Berlina
Hi, Just need help and advise on how to change me heater tap on my Holden vt Berlina 1997 model.It seemed to be leeking abit which caused the engine to heat up, so i thought to check if it was the pipes but turned out to be the plastic rim on the heater tap that was broken.My local mechanic said he can do the job for $175,,,,but would it really be that hard to do,,,,i know nothing about engines and have been ripped off occasionally,,,,can anyone just let me know what tools are needed and how much the part should be and where cheap to get it and what to do in replacing this?

dannyn12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx supercharged
you can get the tap from repco for about $30 and all you need is a pair of pliers and sum coolant

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
yeah mate its easy to do , you can pull the heater unit away from the side of the engine bay coz its only held in by a couple of u shaped clips , itll be easier to get access to then , i generally replace the clamps if they are the spring ones , get some good screw clamps you need 4 itll take you about half an hour to do the job , make sure you bleed the system after you refill the coolant , the bleed is sitting on top of the thermostat housing , you may have to remove the engine coverif it hasnt been removed already to give you access to the the bleed screw, remove it by by removing the 4 nuts that hold it on , its easy , give it a go

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
one expensive mechanic. 50 bucks for Holden coolant. Only use Holden coolant its the second best in the world(csiro). mix 50/50 with distilled water. heater tap 30 bucks. new clamps 5 bucks. also pays to take radiator out and turn it upside down and flush out with hose.