Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing idler pulleys and fan belt??

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodoer VS Executive II V6 3.8L
Just bought a new gates kit because my new car is squeaking like a mouse getting shafted by an elephant... Wondering if anyone could show me a diagram of the pulleys ive got and where they go, 2 of them a metal and one of them is either plastic or resin of some sort and then theres the fan belt.....they are all "idler pulleys" im guessing this couldnt be that hard for me to figure out with the right advice...i can sorta tell which ones i wouldnt take off, water pump etc. But some of them still look alike...its a vs exec ii 95 model

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Two of them will go either side of the air conditioning compressor,and the other will go on the serpentine belt tensioner.Ive just done the bearings in all of mine.Around $8 each for the idler pulley bearings and $6 for the tensioner pulley bearing.It has made a huge difference to how smooth it runs,I should have done them ages ago.

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
is the plastic one for the tensioner??? the metal ones are different sizes too, im guessing the air conditionin compressor is at the top?? do you know which side the big or small pulley will be attached or should i be able to tell next time i look?....thanks for helping

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

Heres a pic of the belt and pulley setup..Dont know why it turned out so big.

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
sick ****....but still got the question is the plastic one the tensioner or should i just be able to tell?? i looked earlier and from memory they were all metal inside the car at the moment

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I thought the idler pulleys were around the same size ,and I thought they were a similar size to the tensioner pulley (although the bearings in them are all different sizes).How much difference is there in the sizes of the ones you bought?

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
i figured out what goes where now i just need to know...is it easy as just taking it off and putting the new one on or is there any special attention i need to take??...things arent usually as easy as they look

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
sick ****....but still got the question is the plastic one the tensioner or should i just be able to tell?? i looked earlier and from memory they were all metal inside the car at the moment

Im pretty sure the plastic one goes on the tensioner.I have a metal one on my car but looking at the pictures of the engine in the gregorys workshop manual it looks like its a plastic one fitted.I know they fitted some plastic ones to the two idler pulleys near the air conditioner compressor as well.Mine are both metal.Its heaps cheaper to just replace the bearings if you already have metal pulleys.Around $20 for the 3 bearings.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Just bought a new gates kit because my new car is squeaking like a mouse getting shafted by an elephant...

****in lol... So, incase I've forgotten what that sounds like, can you describe it to me...?

With out looking, and at a guess, I'd say the plastic one has grooves on it - to run on the inside of the belt, making it the 'top idler' pulley. The other idler would be smooth metal - to run on the back of the belt, making it the lower idler pulley.
With the sizes of the two metal ones, just match them up to the original ones on the motor already :thumbsup: