Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing irs diff mount bush?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Hi, im looking at replacing the diff mount in my ss but not sure how,does anyone know how to replace the irs diff mount bush?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
By dropping the centre down mate I've recently done mine there not hard but I'll never go nolathaine again though as mine broke in 6 weeks or so, so I went rubber again

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
how do i go about that though,ive never needed to touch a diff so im not sure what im doing,also how long does it take roughly?

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
its really easy, id recommend putting a jack under it because is comes down pretty quick when you take the last bolt out (4 in total) alll you need to do is jack up the car, put on stands, put a jack under the diff, under the 4 13mm bolts that hold it to the chassis (located at the back of the diff), then drop the jack, 2 bolts at the back of the diff( im pretty sure theyre 22mm or something like that) then pretty much reverse the process. Should take about a hr max.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just want to add some more info to this informative topic.

I purchased a Whiteline diff insert for a VX SS series 2.
It looked the right shape... Was the right model number according to whitelines website, however it had a rounded (bump stop) lump of rubber at the bottom internal of the diff cradle. This bump stop prevented the diff insert from "just" slotting in.

So... I trimmed out this rubber bump using a fish filletting knife. Finally the urethane insert just slotted in.

Next problem.... The urethane insert was too tight to fit over the rear of the diff.

No matter how hard i tried and how much lube i used, i couldnt get the insert far enough up the diffs rear lobe to retighten the two 22mm diff bolts.

So i removed the diff cradle again, and then took out the diff insert with a flat blade screw driver and ever so slightly trimmed the middle hole slightly larger with my filleting knife.

I put the insert back into the cradle and this time just managed to fight, swear, struggle and finally slide the diff insert + cradle onto the rear of the diff so i could do up the two bolts.

Refitted the cradle to the floor with the 4 bolts and took it for a spin.

Definately has tightened up the rear end, but with all the firetrucking around it definately took me longer than an hour. Probably closer to 4hrs.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Here is the pic of my insert and diff mount.

I've drawn a red line where the rubber bump stop is in the mount that I cut away ...

and the arrows point to where I slightly trimmed the centre hole in the diff inset.

Seems my VX Series 2 actually has a VP-VX Series 1 type mount!

Probably needed this insert!

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Is this just replacing the factory mount ???

I got a rubber mount from pedders and it wasn't the standard mount but a extra one that takes up all the slack and wedges In there, it was nolathanen

So I pulled my diff mount off while the whole cradle was out and wedged it in there fine and bolted it back on fine, it's still good some 6 years later and I just gave the diff to a mate as I now have a m80 with all good parts and it's till looked fine