Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing my VY V6 Auto (Stn. Wag.) starter motor

wire_weaver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure I've isolated my starting problem to a faulty starter motor (or its solenoid).

Intermittently (about half the time I go to start it) the car will not even crank when turning ignition key to start it and I can hear no clicks under the bonnet when turning the key (I'm too deaf to hear the ignition control relay click but I tried swapping it with the power window relay which didn't help). The 6 month old battery is totally fine under load and trying to start with a portable lithium jump starter doesn't help. Sometimes just waiting for it to cool down works, other times when I hit the starter motor with a block of wood it then starts !

I'd like to remove and replace the starter. I need to buy either some ramps or a trolley jack and some jack stands to work from under the car. I really prefer to get a set of ramps but I'm wondering if they will impede my access as I might not be able to shuffle my body and hands into the right spot when under the car because of the size of the ramps. Most threads on replacing the starter talk about using jack stands.
  1. Can I use ramps to do this job rather than jack stands ?
  2. I notice this general starter replacement thread and this thread for the VY SS mentions taking off the exhaust manifold, dipstick bolt and driver side spark plugs ! That seems excessive, can it be done without removing the manifold ? Why do I need to remove the spark plugs ?
Thanks in advance,

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
1. You should be right with ramps unless you are XXL.
2. Removing all those parts is not necessary on a V6, only V8.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You should be able to do most from the engine bay, and then the retaining bolts from underneath.
The only problem I can see, is the heat shield, there is a bolt at the back of the starter motor heat shield, and it is out of view behind the exhaust manifold,
So this will be a feel as you go, but to make sure where it is, best to use a mirror so you can see where its located first.

As for Ramps, depending where you are located, there is always a pair/sets on eBay and/or Facebook Market.
However, if this the only job you need them for, why not find someone and ask to borrow them, and slip them a item in appreciation.

Just remember to disconnect the Battery FIRST ;)

wire_weaver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
1. You should be right with ramps unless you are XXL.
2. Removing all those parts is not necessary on a V6, only V8.
Thanks. I'm tall but not overweight, so today bought the ramp set. That makes sense re. V6 vs V8.

Last edited:

wire_weaver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
You should be able to do most from the engine bay, and then the retaining bolts from underneath. The only problem I can see, is the heat shield, there is a bolt at the back of the starter motor heat shield, and it is out of view behind the exhaust manifold, So this will be a feel as you go, but to make sure where it is, best to use a mirror so you can see where its located first.
As for Ramps, depending where you are located, there is always a pair/sets on eBay and/or Facebook Market.
However, if this the only job you need them for, why not find someone and ask to borrow them, and slip them a item in appreciation.

Thanks krusing. I'd like to be changing my oil and filter now too so the ramps will be handy for that and I bought a pair today for $129.
I was hoping to buy a genuine Bosch starter motor but one auto store told me from his computer system that Bosch discontinued making that part. That made me wonder if I could trust the few places online that claim to sell the genuine part (BXH139) unless they purchased a truckload before Bosch stopped making them. So I ended up getting an OEX brand from Repco with a 3yr warranty and plan to fit it tomorrow.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You may need to drop the left tierod end or unbolt the rack to get it past. Although with it being a VY it may slip past. VR and VS it won't.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks krusing. I'd like to be changing my oil and filter now too so the ramps will be handy for that and I bought a pair today for $129.
I was hoping to buy a genuine Bosch starter motor but one auto store told me from his computer system that Bosch discontinued making that part. That made me wonder if I could trust the few places online that claim to sell the genuine part (BXH139) unless they purchased a truckload before Bosch stopped making them. So I ended up getting an OEX brand from Repco with a 3yr warranty and plan to fit it tomorrow.

Good idea,
Do it all in together in one hit,
and record it, for next time the oil and filter needs changing.

Well Done. ;)

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
You may need to drop the left tierod end or unbolt the rack to get it past. Although with it being a VY it may slip past. VR and VS it won't.

I've never done it this way ever, i just loosen the passenger side engine mount nuts K frame side until they are about to come off, then jack the motor with a block of wood across the sump and this gives you heaps of room to get the starter motor out.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

When changing/draining the oil it is best to have the car on level ground so it all drains out.
I have used the OEX starters from Repco before and found them good, and nothing wrong with 3 year warranty providing it applies to home mechanic.
Best to read the warranty.
It is showing at $136 up here.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've never done it this way ever, i just loosen the passenger side engine mount nuts K frame side until they are about to come off, then jack the motor with a block of wood across the sump and this gives you heaps of room to get the starter motor out.

I've never done it that way but good to learn there are other ways to get the starter out.