Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing O2 Sensors on VT

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,
probably last post for the mighty VT as i pick up the new VXII R8 on saturday but before i hand my car over to my mum i wanted to change the oxygen sensors.
i bought them before i decided to get a new car and thought i would put them on for mum.
looked at my gregory's manual last night and it didnt say the best way to replace...only how to test them and there fault codes.

do i need to get the front of the car jacked up and do them from under or can i do it from the top (engine bay)???
also any special tools or things i need to do??

help much appreciated

Dean

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Easier to access from under the car. Unplug the electrical connector ( you can reach them from the engine bay or from underneath ). Then you just unscrew the sensor as you would a spark plug. Instal the new ones and reconnect. To unplug the connectors you have to lift the tab a bit to unclip it. Look at the plug on you new sensors to see what I mean.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Deano VX

You will need to raise (jack up) the VT, disconnect negative teminal on the battery, from the o2 sensor disconnect the electrical connector from the wiring harness, unscrew the o2 sensor.
Refit new o2 sensor and tighten securely, reconnect the electrical connector from the o2 sensor to the wiring harness, reconnect the negative terminal on the battery, lower the VT and test drive and then check to see if any codes have been logged.

Hope this helps....

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thanks guys....i was hoping not to jack the car up...mainly coz i cant be bothered but i will look at it on the weekend....my gregory manual says to bridge 5&6 to display codes..
anyone done this and found it to work?

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
DeanoVX said:
thanks guys....i was hoping not to jack the car up...mainly coz i cant be bothered but i will look at it on the weekend....my gregory manual says to bridge 5&6 to display codes..
anyone done this and found it to work?

It works.
It wont always log a stuffed o2 sensor, but hey that doesn't matter if your putting new ones in i guess.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
DeanoVX said:
Hi all,
probably last post for the mighty VT as i pick up the new VXII R8 on saturday but before i hand my car over to my mum i wanted to change the oxygen sensors.
i bought them before i decided to get a new car and thought i would put them on for mum.
looked at my gregory's manual last night and it didnt say the best way to replace...only how to test them and there fault codes.

do i need to get the front of the car jacked up and do them from under or can i do it from the top (engine bay)???
also any special tools or things i need to do??

help much appreciated

Dean

Deano how much are the sensors actually worth to buy??
Cheers Trevor

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As Murdoch said the sensors don't always log a fault code when they aren't working properly. I wasn't getting fault codes fron mine but when I changed them I could really feel the difference so they obviously weren't working like they should. I paid $70 each from Auto-One.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah i dont really care if they log faults now...i wanna replace them because fuel economy sucks bad and it has 145000km and never changed.
will check for fault codes after

i paid $76 each (genuine) from holden here in perth.....but lets say its not what you know but who you know :whistling