Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Power Steering Fluid

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
This one,s aimed at RICEY,
mate I understand your a Holden Techy,what procedure can you reccomend I follow in regards to changing the fluid in my power steering (VZ 6Lt),also do I just replace it with DEXRON ATF (DEX 111) or do you reccomend using another type of fluid.
I would like to stay with what ever is in it from the factory to avoid having any issues with incompatible/cross contamination from mixing different fluids eg; Synthetic or Mineral,or in your opinion, if it dosent matter,and no detrimental issues towards the seals etc will arise from using a different fluid.

Or in a more easier way of me asking,:blah blah: if you were to do a fluid change at work, What is your way of flushing/changing the fluid and what would you guys put back in it?
Also what is the total fluid capacity of the power steering unit,inc cooler.
Sorry for rattling ya brain,but I like to know what I,m up for,before I tackle the job;;;;;;
Any hints or advise is much appreciated
Cheers mate,Conrod:beer chug:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Easiest way is to take the line that returns to the P/S reservoir off. This will do two things, it will drain most of the fluid out of the reservoir, and it will also allow you to flush the system.

Next what you need to do is grab a mate, a container of Dex III and a suitable container you can stick the return hose into.
Put the end of the hose into the empty container you've chosen and then block off the hole in the reservoir with your finger and fill the reservoir.
Get your mate (a trustworthy one) to cycle the ignition on and off very quickly. This will draw the fluid out of the res. and deposit it into the container.
Refill the reservoir and rinse and repeat until you are satisfied with the colour of the fluid.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You will find the plastic reservoir has a fine screen filter in the bottom of it from memory....
I took the reservoir off an washed it out with metholated spirits and flushed the fine metal particles out.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
We use a special flushing machine but for do it yourself Sabbath's method is fine.

They take Dex III and to flush it through completely we normally use around 3 litres.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I take it sabbath's method wont actually flush the lines/rack though will it?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
yes sabbath's method will flush the entire system mate. The new fluid goes from the reservoir to the pump, through the lines, rack and back out the return line into external container. normally it would go back to into the reservoir and the cycle would repeat.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Awesome,
I assume its the same for a VX LS1 as well?

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
How often is power steering fluid supposed to be changed?