Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing rear main seal

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Hi just wondering when replacing the rear main seal in a vs commodore do you need to take the whole engine and Trans out or can you get to it by just dropping the Trans also is there any special tools you need had a leaking rear main seal for a bit no stopleaks seam to be working looking into replacing it myself

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Only the transmission needs to come out.

Make sure you replace the whole seal plate with a new one with the seal already installed and has the new black plastic dowels. Do not under any circumstances remove the old plate and just replace the seal and re-install as it will only start leaking within the week.

It's the plastic dowels that give the plate and seal it's perfect alignment around the back end of the crank.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Only the transmission needs to come out.

Make sure you replace the whole seal plate with a new one with the seal already installed and has the new black plastic dowels. Do not under any circumstances remove the old plate and just replace the seal and re-install as it will only start leaking within the week.

It's the plastic dowels that give the plate and seal it's perfect alignment around the back end of the crank.
Very good advice.

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Thanks heaps been looking at the plate an seal kits on ebay they have them for about 160 just had someone tell me that the engine and Trans needed to come out I thought it could be done by just dropping the Trans just added some more stop leak it seems to have slowed the leak down just hope it lasts for a couple of weeks so I can get the kit

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
There's absolutely no need for the engine to be removed. There is plenty of access to the rear of the engine with the trans not in sit u.