Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing standard exterior+interior globes with LEDs

Deeznuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais
hey guys, been pondering about on the net looking for just replacement/blue globes for the center map light on my VE calais.
took the unit off the roof to have a look what size festoon bulb i needed.

not a festoon bulb at all. took it out sized and took a pic of it and tried some googling. there is jack all on parts for VE commodores, well the lighting side of things anyway.

thought i'd check with any of you if you have some knowledge on lighting specs

really want to change tail lights,indiccators,driving lights and interior lights to LEDs for something different. they say theyre alot brighter. i would even think it makes the car look that more newer or whatever.

going to put a nice setup of neons (LEDs) in the interior, probably the footwells and change just the middle map light a different colour too. BLUE or GREEN are the final ideas.
finally bought a little $20 set of those 6 inch neons (purple) and tried them. to be honest they are shithouse. not to mention the neon inverter is a fire hazard with all the crap soldering. anyway it wasnt bright enough for me or safe/practical enough. i have better visions.

i have read about that there could be problems with LED installations, beacause LEDs use less energy and the original setups are high powered for the standard globes. LED conversion kits exist apparently so ill work that out once i get some specs so i actually know what to buy online..

so my questions are what are the globe specs for the tail,rear/side/front indicators,reverse light,driving lights,interio lights(maps/footwells)?

also is it worth trying out the whole Halogen lamp thing?

Cheers again!

Deeznuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais
#Edit# is it worth trying the whole Xenon lamp thing?

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
where do you live, if in nsw you could try asr-audio.com.au they do light upgrades and maybe advice

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
If you are doing just the user serviceable items they are usually T10 bulbs. I replaced all mine with white ones. Don't bother with LED indicators as the system will think the bulb is blows (as they draw less power) and will flick fast as a Mexican with a free buritto voucher. You can get a relay to fix (Narva make one) but I'm my experience the indicators don't make a ticking sound inside the car.

Post up a pic of the bulbs and we should be able to confirm the size.

Deeznuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais
Troy711. just googled t10 globes and finally got a match (or something resembling mine). cheers!

jaycar have some LED ones listed.
after replacing with LEDS do you reckon they are look any brighter/nicer?
i read about exactly that with the indicator lights on superbrightleds.com, they had a read this before.. page. and also the LEDS may not work right because they use less current than trad. globes which used a higher current. the car might display errors as well...

heres the globe i got out. its 1", and the LED ones look a little bigger. guess it doesnt really matter.

T10 http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge3_13462.jpg
T5 looks about right http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_13460.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,206

Deeznuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais
""http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fcarbulb-notes.htm""

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Yep, it's a T10 alright. I wouldn't say that white LEDs are brighter but they sure as hell look better. I'll try and post a pic (seems how I'm sitting in the garage next to the car at the moment).