Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing starter motor

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSV Clubsport 5th anniversary
Hi guys, I had a few issues with starting my car recently, so put a second had starter in and am having the same problems, I have purchesed a new hi torque starter and have since realised it wasnt the starter itself but the wires running to the starter, I'm going to put the new starter on as I have already purchesed it, Im just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what I need to run all new wires, and how long the wires have to be or if they come cut to length with ends already on them. Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance

hsvwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 HSV Wagon, VP GTS
Hi mate, I had a similar problem with my GTS. I solved it by fitting a relay (bolted on the back of the alternator, well hidden). Then you can use the existing wiring off the starter to trigger the relay and run good new 5mm wires from B+ on alternator, through relay and onto starter Solenoid. This will give "true" battery voltage to the starter solenoid for good starts every time.
Good Luck, Cheers
Dave