Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Stock Head Unit Kill's AC? VE 08

Clifton_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 60th Anniversary
Signed up to ask this because I've had no luck anywhere trying to find this information.

Purchased a 2008 V6 VE Commodore 60th Anniversary, been slowly doing everything up, first the AC compressor, tyres, removing the LNG tank in the boot, bunch of different bits and pieces.

The stock head unit itself (single zone) has a severely busted screen which is unusable at the top and the head unit itself has a busted AUX cord which makes anything other than plain pre-tuned radio channels basically useless. I spoke to a close friend who worked for a company in Darwin that does audio system installations, and he explained because the head unit organises the audio and the climate control, if I don't have exactly the same model stock unit to replace the current one with, it'll kill off control to the AC.

I just got the damn thing done up after months and I really don't want that. I understand there are after market units, but apparently VE's are particularly painful with aftermarket audio units.

Had an idea of just replacing the screen so I can change settings etc and running an AUX cord from the back of the existing head unit to the centre console, but I"m not sure if replacing just the screen will cause a similar problem?

Any help is appreciated.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
you can change the screens on there own without programming there is also an aux plug you can buy and plug into the back(aerpro) if the front one dies (usually does)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I swapped out the factory screen on a facia. It doesn't hold any data. Just disassemble the facia and replace the components only you need from a donor facia.

That little screen between the vents can just get swapped out.

Yes the headunit controls almost all aspects of HVAC and talks to the HVAC control module mounted on the passenger side ducting.

Aftermarket units are plug and play with Aerpro or Apline HVAC adapter facias. Theres another US one as well.
Then the HVAC works as it would normally.

If you swap the whole factory headunit, it needs to be reflashed with your VIN. See Envyous Customs for that.
Some say a facia swap on factory headunit needs reflashing as well, but I've swapped out facias on a series 2 without needing that, and parts swapped a facia as well to make another good one from two with flaws.

A good chance to introduce dual zone climate (will also need a dual zone module (not VIN matched))

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you swap the headunit for after market, there might be a code set for non communication with the headunit which does not set the light on the dash or cause any hassles.

VZ also does this.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Use this how to for either option:
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/holden/ve-commodore/holden-iq-headunit-conversion/

To sort the shite from the shovel, here's three good videos with various interface options.

I wouldn't get the system in the first video as I had a similar one in my VE International.
The Alpine head unit was fantastic but the LCD climate control screen was absolute *%$#!!!!
It's way too small, the buttons go right to the edge and the screen is recessed in too far making it hard to press some of the buttons.
The buttons also work REALLY slowly if you hold them in AND when you press them multiple times.
Mine did really strange things when it stuffed up which happened 3 times and had to be replaced 3 times.
That's just my 2 cents worth. Wish those other units were available when i had mine done.

C

Clubstanz

Hi all, I have a Ve Series 2 with dual zone AC. Does anyone know if there is someone in NZ(Auckland) that could upgrade my Series 2 unit??

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any car audio place.