Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing swaybar d bushes and split pins

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
hi guys - 2 questions:

I have replaced my sway bar D bushes with nolathane, however I am having trouble tightening the front sway bar bolt. The rear tightens fine but the front one reaches a point and then slips back - I have swapped bolts but am still having the same problem _ got me Fu***ed!

Second question: also replaced link pins (nolathane with s shaped link pin). getting a rattle and seems to bottom out over speed humps - swear its coming from pins. I was under the impression that you can't over tighten the bushes i.e. they reach a point and then the pin just keeps moving.... is this the case or have I over tightened them.

cheers.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the pin bushes are being visibly crushed, you've over tightened them.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thanks.... cant figure this front swaybar bolt though... other side bracket and bush went on ok.... is there some kind of trick?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
So its going in then slipping out? If so sounds like the threads stripped. Either ran a larger tap through it and add a larger bolt or run get a hali coil added to bring it back to original size.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
still problems here.... both front bolts are reaching a point and then not tightening anymore.... they cant be stripped as I have tried the back bolts in the front holes and they do the same. The vs mounts into the chassis using a single bolt.... the rear has a slip in the bracket so you just have to loosen it a bit and you can pull the bracket out. However, the front bolts have to come completely out ( I know at least that the vt is mounted differently and uses nuts to secure the swaybar in the bracket. Am I doing this right.... I am tightening the rear bolts fully and then the front... the front bolts should keep tightening to level out the bracket so it is flush with the chassis... both front sides are not tightening fully and are leaving a significant gap (in no way flush). They should tighten and level up the bracket. Pretty sure this explains the rattling and bottoming out over speed humps I am getting. The split pins are set up correctly. Has anyone replaced the D bushes on there vs? Any ideas? Very frustrating!!!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I replaced my old rubber D bushes with nolothane brand bushes, they just bolted straight back up with the open end of new D bushes facing the front of the vehicle. Ive just had a quick look at the VS workshop manual to see if theres any special way it needs to be done etc, but just as I thought, theres nothing mentioned, its all straight forward, just remove the old ones, fit the new ones and tighten them back up. It just says what Ive said above, to make sure the open end of the bushes face the front of the vehicle. The manual says that the swaybar bracket bolts should be tightened from 24 to 30 Nm, so they definitely shoudnt be loose in any way.

Last edited:

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thnx.... I got the 26mm bushes for the car.... are these right? I was under the impression that is the standard size for vs swaybar. Maybe I have the wrong size??

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Vernier calipers + front swaybar = knowing what size to purchase.
(they should sit snug around your swaybar.)

Also do not fully tighten those rear bolts until the fronts are finger tight and the bracket is sitting flush. Be careful not to cross thread the front bolts.
And to make life easier: attach the D bushes before you attach the swaybar links.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
cheers guys... all fixed.... apparently I put the bolts back in on an angle and ####ed up the 'holes'... anyway local mechanic drilled it out and put in 14mm bolts... only cost $40... top bloke!

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
i had simmilar problems with mine, you have to do the d bushes first then the link pins. otherwise its a pain in the butt to get the bolts in the d bushes.
ive thought about putting the standard link pins with nolethane bushes in as the s bent link pins seem to move around a bit and make clunking noises when u go from hard lock one way to the other which is annoying and think the straight pins would fix this issue!