Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the battery in your remote

Gazzara_0306

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim
Its in the key assembly

Looking at the way the key and remote are made you would need special type of battery (non standard) and the know how to reverse engineer assembly.
When I used to have my Subaru Legacy GT 1995 wagon on thier remote you simply unscrewed the remote and popped in your replacement battery.

The Holden design means unless you have the know how and correct battery model/tools you could screw up the whole process.

On one hand pay Holden $100+ Dollars to fix with no fuss or DIY with added dangers DIY success kewl just spend money and time save a few dollars DIY no success not kewl as your remotes now toast (If you stuff your battery or melt the PCB or break the PCB). Depends on your level of mechanical ability on the success of the DIY scale.

samantha_kate48

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim 2003
Hi would these step be the same for a VY Acclaim 2003? its just my remote works but sets of my alarm if i try to start the car?

Cheers Sam

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
if the remote works it wouldn't set off the alarm. best be taking that to holden service and tell them what it's doing

notintocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
How do you open the key?

I've taken the screws out and key out, so how do I open the casing without breaking the damn thing?

notintocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
ok thanks for that, have just broken it and ordered new part from ebay. Thanks again.

Timboy

Never been pulled over!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
There are shops where you can buy a replacement key (at least there are in Canberra). They look like official Holden ones although I'm pretty sure they don't have the lion on the back of the key... I think they're programmed to work on the same signal, so you only need a new key, but they're pretty expensive (around $100 for a fully programmed one I think)

Also, pretty sure you can't get a different type of key either... i.e. My VR key has one button to open and close all the doors and I wanted a key with seperate buttons but the bloke at the stall told me that it couldn't be done.

Hope that helps

notintocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
thank you for your reply. I bought the plastic casing for the key on ebay for about $16 and it works perfectly. A very cheap option and easy option.

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
I replaced the battery in my key head last week and didn't solder it. The bottom metal strip that goes under the battery broke, so I used foil folded up 10 times and taped it on. Also used electrical tape to hold the top metal strip down to the top side battery too. Then glued all back together.
Cost me a packet of 6 Sony batteries from China off ebay for $2 and some left over water proof glue.
Works a treat!