Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Fan Speed Resistor

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
If your aircon only works on some fan levels (eg: 3 & 4 only) then you will need to replace your fan speed resistor. They cost about $54 from your local holden dealership. The job only takes 10-20 minutes depending on how confident you are.

1. Pop the bonett
2. Undo the bolts ontop of the wipers, lift wipers off (WD40 may be need as sometimes they are hard to get off, remember to mark where the wipers were because they need to be put back ni the same position otherwise they wont wipe the windscreen smoothly)
3. Undo the black bolts under the wiper arms once they are lifted off.
4. Pull off the rubber seal which is under the bonett (just before the black plastic cover where the wiper arms come out of)
5. Remove the 5 little clips which are along the base of the windscreen (use a small screw driver to lift them up)
6. Lift the black cover up but be careful as they crack easily
7. Undo the 2 screws on the dome which is located towards the centre of the car
8. Under the dome undo the other 2 screws which reveals the fan speed resistor, unplug it and put the new one in (you will notice one of the wires are broken on the old resistor)
9. Do steps 2-8 in reverse.

Hope htis helps because it helped me and now mine works. Thanx to several sources for helping me fix this so i tohught i'd type up a simple method to help others.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure if this is for all models but its deffinantly for the VN - VS...

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
$54 for a resistor??

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats what i was charged... i got the reciept for proof.

R

rattattack1313

resistor....

wow...that seeems a bit steep for 1 resistor...is it gold plated or something???loool...( just being cheekier than normal...you'll get used to me.....I did.....)...
just rang Zupps in Mnt Gravatt....$51.00....... and he said yea, they are gold plated....loool.... :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Triox

Reaction score
rattattack1313 said:
wow...that seeems a bit steep for 1 resistor...is it gold plated or something???loool...( just being cheekier than normal...you'll get used to me.....I did.....)...
just rang Zupps in Mnt Gravatt....$51.00....... and he said yea, they are gold plated....loool.... :rofl:

If you are handy with a soldering iron, get hold of some resistance wire,
Dick Smith has Nichrome and Cuprothal for about $3.00, and replace the faulty coil in the resistor pack , just wind your own coil,
The length of the wire and the type of wire used will determine the fan speed,
but I just had a try today first with a piece of copper wire and the only difference was speed 2 and 3 were the same.
DO NOT use the copper wire long term as it can,t withstand the heat too well.

If you have an old heater or kettle with exposed heating elements , you could
probably use some of that too.

B

baryscommodore

thank, now my fan works. i gota vn n it the same thing.. so this applies from vn-vs models

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
baryscommodore said:
thank, now my fan works. i gota vn n it the same thing.. so this applies from vn-vs models

sure does.

Madhouse_Dave

Crazy but Happy
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Thanks from Me also I now have a fully working fan too..

:king:

B

baryscommodore

Still doesn't work

:unsure: i went to the holden dealer n i gotta replacement for my vn commodore fan resistor. i replaced it n still got the same problem. i noticed when i tried putting on the fan without the resitor only the 4th speed works but with the new resistor now its 3 and 4, no 1 and 2. my old resistor only worked on 3 and 4, i pretty much baught a $54 resistor for nothing, what else could it be? all my vents work, the blow motor thing works its only the speed 1 and 2