Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Fan Speed Resistor

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
did you check the wires on your old resistor before buying a new one?

If one was broken its gotta be the resistor, if none were broken then its something else which i have no idea...

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
If you are handy with a soldering iron, get hold of some resistance wire,
Dick Smith has Nichrome and Cuprothal for about $3.00, and replace the faulty coil in the resistor pack , just wind your own coil,
The length of the wire and the type of wire used will determine the fan speed,
but I just had a try today first with a piece of copper wire and the only difference was speed 2 and 3 were the same.
DO NOT use the copper wire long term as it can,t withstand the heat too well.

If you have an old heater or kettle with exposed heating elements , you could
probably use some of that too.

Hi

I just joined, wish I'd found this old thread earlier, spent almost a whole day tracing the wiring from the switch to locate this resister. Location not in my service manual. New resister now $62.80 from holden.

Ok so the cuprothal wire from Dick Smith is $4 for 4 metres of 6 ohm/m 0.32 mm dia and the #2 elememt is 0.5 mm dia and around 24 cm long.
The cold resistance looks about right but I'm not sure this finner dia will take the required current.

Anyone know if the diameter is a problem?

I intend adjusting the wire length until the speed settings have roughly even current steps. I have the gear and ability for this but little experience with elements where the resistance varies with temperature.

I could double the 0.35 wire and this would give the same X area as the original 0.5 element. Would that work OK?

Another option is to replace the element with a 7W cereamic resistor.
opinions?

It's a bit of effort but I'd feel ripped off paying $62 for the part.

Regards,
Ken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
If someone would please post the resistance values for all four positions on a working resistor block, it would then be possible to work out the required wattage, and then $1 or so per resistor instead of the bullsh!t holden $50-$60. Great thread,
Colin

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
If someone would please post the resistance values for all four positions on a working resistor block, it would then be possible to work out the required wattage, and then $1 or so per resistor instead of the bullsh!t holden $50-$60. Great thread,
Colin

Hi,

There seems to be an upgrade of the resister unit, my old one has 3 elements in a metal cage, the new one appears to have an aluminium heat sink from what I've seen. I did some testing but bear in mind that the no 2 element is blown so is only an estimate.

#1 2.0 ohms
#2 0.8 ohms
#3 0.5 ohms
#4 direct connection to fan

Keep in mind that the elements are in series so the resistance on:

1 is 2.0 + 0.8 + 0.5
2 is 0.8 + 0.5
3 is 0.5
4 is zero

Plus fan load of course.

I used a amp meter but It had a blown resistor internally which was replaced. Since then the meter is probably not calibrated correctly and I think is reading high. My readings give:

1 4 A
2 11 A
3 18 A
4 25 A

You can see an even incriment of 7A between settingsl. I would not recomment just working of a resistance value because this changes as the wire heats up so is difficult to predict accuratly from ohms law especially as the wire available is probably not a good match to the original. I'd recommend connecting an amp meter and adjust the connection point on the new wire until you are happy with the meter readings and fan speed on #1.
Don't let the motor struggle to turn the fan. Only then form the that same length of wire into an element and solder it in.

I ended up ordering a new resistor on ebay as there is no local supplier for resistance wire here. Dick Smiths postage charge is a killer on small items. The figures are estimates based on measurements but should give a rough guide to get you started.

Best of luck,
Ken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
it was you!

so youre the bastard who stole my $13 eBay bargain.. then the next auction too for the $15 one LOL,
Colin
Oh and thanks for the values, I'm gonna try re-soldering the broken resistor, its broken right at one end, so ill soon see

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
It Wasn't me honest :)

or was it hmmmm?
LOL

Ken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
Will see how long my soldering lasts, all speeds working...... its so damn quiet on those first two speeds, like a secret club! Most people seem to only know the noisey group.
Colin

Lasted till 1/12/06, I got a spare from the wreckers so now we shall see how long it lasts!

Last edited:

Bubbaj247

VTR247
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ACCLAIM II
I got a vt replaced the fan resistor $22.50 and works a dream

m3taL

For what its worth.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
88` S1 VN, 5spd & 94' VR Wagon
well blow me over backwards... i never would have worked thus out...

so much money for so little wire.... might give the rebuild a go.