Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Mylink with a 2018+ Radio

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by TazzI, Jul 30, 2019.

1. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    First and foremost, lets explain how the newer radio systems work, there are three main components:
    1) The screen (usually 8".. like our mylinks)
    2) The receiver (This does all the audio)
    3) The HMI (Human Machine Interface, this does all the video)

In comparison, the VF mylinks have only a screen and radio box, the box is basically the HMI and receiver built into one.

Newer 2018+ systems have apple car play and android auto from factory, along with playing videos and music from usb, and a variety of other pretty cool options. I will grab a video of the 2017/18 Colorado system I have on my bench so everyone can have a feel for what Im talking about, but for now here is a pic of what the home screen looks like (Which there are other themes to choose):
    HMI display.PNG

I have no idea why this hasn't striked me before, but I feel pretty confident that I can make these newer systems work in our VFs. The newer systems also use a 8" screen, so this is a direct replacement for what our VFs currently have.

With that being said.. theres going to be a few things to nut out:
    1) Wiring loom, plug and play loom would need to be made so the receiver and HMI can be connected up with the factory mylink radio connector.
    2) Work out which options do/don't work, this can include the buttons on the face plate, although I feel confident that they should actually work
    3) Reverse engineer any custom messages that need to be sent to the comms line to keep it all happy

I have no idea what will happen with any custom lighting/setting options usually found with the mylink settings, so thats also going to be an unknown.

Basically, the whole point of this is looking at a custom factory solution, anyone have thoughts on it?

kirkc, mitweiler, Fu Manchu and 6 others like this.
  2. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Yes please that or the kayhan unit with a bit of polish round the edges

3. chrisp

chrisp Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
    I think that the idea of using a newer GM system has merit and, with a bit of luck, there may be compatibly with some of the car functions.

More generally, I think the biggest impediment to upgrading or replacing the MyLink system (whether with an aftermarket system or another GM system) is the potential loss of the car-settings functions and messages that have been integrated in to the MyLink. An alternative tact could be to develop a product that replicates the car-settings functions/messages of the MyLink and to somehow interface it in to a range of aftermarket audio/gps units (perhaps via an app loaded on the aftermarket unit?).

4. mwb235

mwb235 Pierced sink plugs

Members Ride:
    2014 VF Calais V V6
    brilliant work Tazzl

5. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    How about looking at the infotainment from the Acadia? Two piece radio and controller and a newer version of Mylink compared to Colorado/Astra etc. Does everything Mylink 2 does but looks a lot fresher with Apple car play. Problem as you stated getting the vehicle settings to work from the VF with the newer version.

Smitty likes this.
  6. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    The 2019/2020 Arcadia (I think I got that right?) have the absolute brand new radio system which is called HMI 3.0 or 3.X, Iv played with them a little but only just got one recently to start reverse engineering, these are also used in the latest camaros which have just come out with HSV.

But the version below is what I was referring to the above which is found in the newest colorados ect, which have carplay by default along with a bunch of other options.

Now, as for the factory settings, we wont know till plugged into the car, but the factory mylink system displays more/less settings depending on the car connected. For instance, if the car has bimodals, these can changed inside the mylink itself, whereas cars without them do not have any settings. Im thinking this might be the same when using the newer radio systems (Hopefully).

Mavericks Choice and abuch47 like this.
  7. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    the kayhan has been programmed to work with factory settings. They also claim HUD compatibility now.

8. Philmecrackun

Philmecrackun Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
    You will need an interface for the HUD to work as well, which is great for navigation and music, also the navigation to work in the centre dash screen as well, but I hope you do work something out.

9. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Yep, they are constantly improving and adding abilities to their products, which is why I am a fan of their products :)

HUD is something that appears to have programming related to both the clusters and radios. So being a factory GM part, I believe the HUD *should* still work.

Again, theres a heap of unknowns. I currently have the screens out of both the newer system and our VF mylink. A little support bracket is going to need to be made to convert the newer screen mounts to match the old screen mounts, this is something I should be able to do using the 3D printer :)

After that, its going to be the big test to see if I can get the buttons to be working.

tommy_z and Philmecrackun like this.
  10. Philmecrackun

Philmecrackun Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
    Great work, I hope you can get it to work, I met up with a few of the American with their SS's the other month and they love them but hate the cobbled up mylink.
    I have a VF2 Calais and use the HUD all the time, but the maps are way out of date even with the expensive updates, I had a 2019 Craptiva as a loan car and it was great how the carplay works on such a shitty car. When you get it working I'll probably be a buyer for it.

11. Poor old Dad

Poor old Dad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Calais V
    I usually keep cars for around 4 years so normally another 12 months would see my Calais gone.

However, there is nothing that really appeals to me in the price range so I'm seriously considering keeping it until it dies.

That being the case I'd likely buy an aftermarket unit (Tazzi's) providing I don't lose features.

12. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    This sounds great. Like it was said before the Kayhan units would be good if/when the issues are ironed out. This seems like a great alternative to keep the factory Holden feel.

Mavericks Choice likes this.
  13. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    This would be a great idea too (even though I am a big proponent of retaining the original MyLink system look) - as the use of the Colorado or Acadia systems would still have a ‘Holden’ look to them. To me this would be preferable to the Keyhan system.

Also don’t forget those of us with the Calais and Limited Editions with the heated seats function!

As an aside query, would the new ZB Commodore’s interface be any good? Am wondering if that forward camera in our VFs can be utilised for any additional functions (ie. I know the ZB has a 360 degree camera).

Fu Manchu and Philmecrackun like this.
  14. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Thats bascially the kinda of system Im look into adding in, well, the same as whats found in the top range ZB's (I think.. I havent had one of those in my hands), or they could be the next gen stuff I spoke about before.

Either way, as its keeping it semi factory by using Holden parts, I believe alot of the usual settings should work. My main concern is ensure the buttons still work, and if not, reverse engineering those to get them corresponding to the screen correctly.

[paradox] and tommy_z like this.
  15. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    That sounds fantastic! Just checking the Colorado doesn’t have the 360 camera though the Acadia does. Definitely curious and keen to see this work!

16. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Think of it this way, the capability is there, its just a matter of enabling it in some custom programming.

For example, the colorado could have "Rear camera in motion" enabled, which allows turning on the rear camera to see whats going on behind while driving, this screen displays for about 20seconds (has a timer) and then back to the normal menu menu.

tommy_z likes this.
  17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Ooh, I like that, you could automate it along with accessing the 'phone's email functionality to send your state's roads authorities video proof & identification of tailgating at the touch of a button. :)

18. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    :D Not a bad use of the function!

19. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Little update to this.

So.. I havent migrated the colorado screen to the Mylink setup yet, BUT, I feel damn confident its going to work.

I have recently gotten the brand new new systems (the new generation HMIs found in newest 2019/2020 Holdens) to fire up using the colorado screen and VF BCM so its technically all working. These new systems are basically android, and thus will have the ability to install applications. I havent checked what apps are available, but as its android... Im sure I can find a way to install any app ;)

So.. these new HMIs may be the future for our commodores. Biggest thing I can see is trying to make a plug and play patch loom to get all connections from the HMI to the VF.. but one step at a time.

Hopefully have a video of this on a VF bezel in the coming week or so. If that works, will need to find a VF for a weekend to fit it in and check everything works.

mpower, struggo, VF Redline and 18 others like this.
  20. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    Sounds really promising! Excited to see how you go.