Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Mylink with a 2018+ Radio

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
When you get it working I'll probably be a buyer for it.

I usually keep cars for around 4 years so normally another 12 months would see my Calais gone.

However, there is nothing that really appeals to me in the price range so I'm seriously considering keeping it until it dies.

That being the case I'd likely buy an aftermarket unit (Tazzi's) providing I don't lose features.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
This sounds great. Like it was said before the Kayhan units would be good if/when the issues are ironed out. This seems like a great alternative to keep the factory Holden feel.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
This would be a great idea too (even though I am a big proponent of retaining the original MyLink system look) - as the use of the Colorado or Acadia systems would still have a ‘Holden’ look to them. To me this would be preferable to the Keyhan system.

Also don’t forget those of us with the Calais and Limited Editions with the heated seats function!

As an aside query, would the new ZB Commodore’s interface be any good? Am wondering if that forward camera in our VFs can be utilised for any additional functions (ie. I know the ZB has a 360 degree camera).

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
This would be a great idea too (even though I am a big proponent of retaining the original MyLink system look) - as the use of the Colorado or Acadia systems would still have a ‘Holden’ look to them. To me this would be preferable to the Keyhan system.

Also don’t forget those of us with the Calais and Limited Editions with the heated seats function!

As an aside query, would the new ZB Commodore’s interface be any good? Am wondering if that forward camera in our VFs can be utilised for any additional functions (ie. I know the ZB has a 360 degree camera).

Thats bascially the kinda of system Im look into adding in, well, the same as whats found in the top range ZB's (I think.. I havent had one of those in my hands), or they could be the next gen stuff I spoke about before.

Either way, as its keeping it semi factory by using Holden parts, I believe alot of the usual settings should work. My main concern is ensure the buttons still work, and if not, reverse engineering those to get them corresponding to the screen correctly.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Thats bascially the kinda of system Im look into adding in, well, the same as whats found in the top range ZB's (I think.. I havent had one of those in my hands), or they could be the next gen stuff I spoke about before.

Either way, as its keeping it semi factory by using Holden parts, I believe alot of the usual settings should work. My main concern is ensure the buttons still work, and if not, reverse engineering those to get them corresponding to the screen correctly.

That sounds fantastic! Just checking the Colorado doesn’t have the 360 camera though the Acadia does. Definitely curious and keen to see this work!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
That sounds fantastic! Just checking the Colorado doesn’t have the 360 camera though the Acadia does. Definitely curious and keen to see this work!
Think of it this way, the capability is there, its just a matter of enabling it in some custom programming.

For example, the colorado could have "Rear camera in motion" enabled, which allows turning on the rear camera to see whats going on behind while driving, this screen displays for about 20seconds (has a timer) and then back to the normal menu menu.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For example, the colorado could have "Rear camera in motion" enabled, which allows turning on the rear camera to see whats going on behind while driving, this screen displays for about 20seconds (has a timer) and then back to the normal menu menu.
Ooh, I like that, you could automate it along with accessing the 'phone's email functionality to send your state's roads authorities video proof & identification of tailgating at the touch of a button. :)

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ooh, I like that, you could automate it along with accessing the 'phone's email functionality to send your state's roads authorities video proof & identification of tailgating at the touch of a button. :)
:D Not a bad use of the function!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Little update to this.

So.. I havent migrated the colorado screen to the Mylink setup yet, BUT, I feel damn confident its going to work.

I have recently gotten the brand new new systems (the new generation HMIs found in newest 2019/2020 Holdens) to fire up using the colorado screen and VF BCM so its technically all working. These new systems are basically android, and thus will have the ability to install applications. I havent checked what apps are available, but as its android... Im sure I can find a way to install any app ;)

So.. these new HMIs may be the future for our commodores. Biggest thing I can see is trying to make a plug and play patch loom to get all connections from the HMI to the VF.. but one step at a time.

Hopefully have a video of this on a VF bezel in the coming week or so. If that works, will need to find a VF for a weekend to fit it in and check everything works.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Sounds really promising! Excited to see how you go.