Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the roof lining in a VE...

My Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 HDT Group A SS Blue Meanie & 2010 SSv Ute
RiCeY

A huge thank you for the info, I knew there had to be another way then remove the back window.

Any chance I can message you my email address for full instructions and any pic you may have?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yep go ahead

My Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 HDT Group A SS Blue Meanie & 2010 SSv Ute
BIG thanks to RiCeY

Information has been great and going to save me a massive headache.

Cheers to all those that replied.

Hopefully this will be the last thing some one F#%ks up on my car.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Rear window does not need removal.

For those wondering, during assembly, the roof lining is installed through the windscreen before the glass goes on.

In a sedan, removing a front seat/s makes things easier.

Overall it’s a hard job unless you’ve done it before. Once you do a few, you’ll know the tricks.

I struggled with reinstalling grab handles. The visors also proved challenging. I wrecked the wiring on one visor. Had to get a new one.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Went for a drive in the SS today, doesn't get used a lot. Until now, I thought the headlining was OK, the wife noticed first the headlining coming away near the windscreen on passenger side and looking closer it's starting to drop over backseats as well. I'm also noticing the seats have a bit of a saggy feeling to them, I would't be surprised if the seat cushioning is starting to break down as well. It's an 09 SS only 90,000 Km on it. By comparison, wife has an 08 Forester 191,000 Km on it, no problems with the seat trim, cushioning or the roof lining at all.
Edit, just adding my 2000 VX Clubby, I only did the headlining a few months ago (I've owned it since 2006), the trimmer guy was surprised it hadn't been done before.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm also noticing the seats have a bit of a saggy feeling to them, I would't be surprised if the seat cushioning is starting to break down as well.

Time for new seat cushions ?
I bought a new VZ drivers seat cushion from Holden last year, about $90, made a huge difference. The foam had not broken or showed signs of previous abuse, it had just become .... flat, soft, and felt like sitting on a dunny. I also put a piece of carpet between the base and cushion.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can boof up the foams again using a steamer. You got to use the right kind of steamer or this will turn out a bit s hit.

Remove the seat cover and apply the steamer to the foam. You’ll see the foam really find it’s old shape as the heat resets it.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Time for new seat cushions ?
I bought a new VZ drivers seat cushion from Holden last year, about $90, made a huge difference. The foam had not broken or showed signs of previous abuse, it had just become .... flat, soft, and felt like sitting on a dunny. I also put a piece of carpet between the base and cushion.

I was thinking new seat cushion, back rest is probably OK. If a seat has to come out to do the headlining, that would be a good time to do the seat base cushion. Mechanically the SS (auto) is good. A while ago I had the roof and bonnet painted due to sun damage (Poison Ivy), I used to have the car under a car cover, but cover was breaking down and it really stuffed the paint, mainly roof and bonnet. With the car otherwise in good nick, I think it's worth maintaining it, and keeping it in good condition. I'll take it to the trimmers and see what they say re the headlining and seat base.

Interesting about the steamer FuManChu, I've never heard of that before.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hadn’t either but watched a trimmer do it. Used a steamer like they use in clothing shops and Myer.