Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Steering Wheel

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
Hi,
I have a VT Calais, and i need to replace the steering wheel, has anyone attempted this as yet? Just want to know what to look out for?

Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start so you dont set off the airbag. Ensure that the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position. Undo the 4 torx screws ond remove the airbag and disconnect the connectors at the rear of the assembly. Undo the nut on the shaft and mark the shaft and wheel so you know how it goes back on. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock it back and forth while pulling it toward you until it comes of. If it doesn't want to come off you may need a steering wheel puller.
When you carry the air bag face the horn pad away from you and store the airbag horn side up.
Also beware of the clock spring. don't turn it, leave it the way it is when you take the wheel off.

super_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
kinda the same thing for me, i wanted to put a sports wheel on my vt but cause of the airbag the boss kit was gonna cost me$230 and could void my insurance, is this right? am i stuck with the standard wheel unless i fork out the $230

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
Just make sure when pulling steeing wheel off the shaft (will be tight) to leave to bolt in the end of the shaft by a few threads.
Imagine the steering wheel coming off the shaft and smashing you in the face.....OUCHIES!!!! Have seen it happen once before - alot of blood to clean up and possible broken nose if it hits you.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
super_6 said:
kinda the same thing for me, i wanted to put a sports wheel on my vt but cause of the airbag the boss kit was gonna cost me$230 and could void my insurance, is this right? am i stuck with the standard wheel unless i fork out the $230
yep thats right...fork out the cash

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
super_6 said:
Yes it is illegal to remove the airbag, but you can but some nice steering wheels with an airbag.