Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the VE "head unit"

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
KAL, this setup is looking very nice. Except for the tack-on HVAC controls. I guess it's a matter of whats more important at this stage, and getting rid of that Blaupunkt atrocity is my priority.

Perhaps we should all email Holden, and spell DIN out to the "engineers" they have designing these things.

I still reckon Holden have a legal case to answer, but will explore that avenue on my own, and in another thread...

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Pricey? That's outrageous!

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
THIS: COMMODORE VE SS-V HSV RADIO UPGRADE SUIT SS SV6 & OMEGA - eBay, Other, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Oct-10 21:10:43 AEDST)

It's pricey but will play Mp3's and video's off your ipod / iphone. plays mp3's off Cd's also, but does not read DVD's.

will work with ANY VE.

Why on earth would I want to buy ANOTHER Holden stereo for twice what I would pay for a aftermarket stereo that has a bonus ---- SATNAV, Touchscreen and DVD???

That would be very hypocritical....

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Why on earth would I want to buy ANOTHER Holden stereo for twice what I would pay for a aftermarket stereo that has a bonus ---- SATNAV, Touchscreen and DVD???

That would be very hypocritical....

Because it replaces the stock headunit and you don't need to mould a new facia for the double DIN device?

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
Because it replaces the stock headunit and you don't need to mould a new facia for the double DIN device?

MegaFAIL...

It's ok if you don't get the concept (or are happy with the fact) that Holden's audio systems are anywhere up to 10 years behind current technology (including VE series II).

racka

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SS-V
Just had a thought earlier, and I'm sure it's been covered before...if I was to buy a VE Calais head unit to put into my VE Berlina, and I also bought the HVAC unit from the same car to go with it, there'd be no need to have No Limits reprogram anything would there? It would then be a straight swap of HVAC and head unit?

Or am I missing something?

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Just had a thought earlier, and I'm sure it's been covered before...if I was to buy a VE Calais head unit to put into my VE Berlina, and I also bought the HVAC unit from the same car to go with it, there'd be no need to have No Limits reprogram anything would there? It would then be a straight swap of HVAC and head unit?

Or am I missing something?

In theory that would be correct, as that's what the programming is for, to pair the new head unit with your exisiting HVAC module. Although since a VE Calais has dual zone climate control and a VE Berlina doesn't as far as I know, the head unit would pop up an error message about it and probably refuse to work. That's why when No Limits does the reprogramming, they also put a couple of resistors in to trick the head unit into thinking the car is dual zone.

racka

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SS-V
Although since a VE Calais has dual zone climate control and a VE Berlina doesn't as far as I know, the head unit would pop up an error message about it and probably refuse to work. That's why when No Limits does the reprogramming, they also put a couple of resistors in to trick the head unit into thinking the car is dual zone.

The Berlina has dual zone as well. As far as I'm aware, the only difference in the head units and HVAC between the Calais and Berlina is that the Calais has a colour screen and the Berlina has a green mono screen. The dash is the same with 3 displays and the climate control is dual zone in both cars.

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
The Berlina has dual zone as well. As far as I'm aware, the only difference in the head units and HVAC between the Calais and Berlina is that the Calais has a colour screen and the Berlina has a green mono screen. The dash is the same with 3 displays and the climate control is dual zone in both cars.

Ok then, thanks for telling me as I didn't think the Berlinas would have had dual zone being the model down from the Calais. In that case the head unit swap should theoretically work if the HVAC module was obtained from the same car.