Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the VX head gaskets -job almost done

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
I never thought I would feel embarrassed about people noticing my carbon build up...

Anyway, I finished off re-assembling the motor this morning. Took the car around the block a few times, temp was stable, car ran sweetly, nil issues. I will take her for a longer run tomorrow, just around the block for half an hour, just to make sure I can rely on the engine. Even though I know if something was not right it would be obvious in the first start up, driving around within walking distance of home makes me feel better.

I changed the oil and filter after the run around the block, just in case crud got in the oil.

So, all up the job has cost around $500. Quality gaskets, 5 litres oil, filter, coolant, thread sealant, RTV sealant, 13mm spanner because my son buried mine, and a 15mm socket. (I lost the last 15mm socket after using it on the head gaskets 4 years ago, I forgot why I had it and tossed it somewhere.)

After thoughts?
While people said doing the heads is an easy job, fair enough, it is. But putting everything back on after the heads are bolted down is a bloody nightmare. Bolting down the heads? 10 minutes. Everything else back on? three hours.

1/ Attach the alternator wiring before you bolt it onto motor.
2/ Use copper paste on the exhaust screws, helps with getting the buggers back in, easier getting them out next time.
3/ RHS far rear exhaust screw... hard little bugger to get in, nightmare if you drop it.
4/ The vacuum hoses behind the plenum... take photos before undoing it all
5/ The 10mm screw LHS rear of plenum underside... how the hell do you get it back in?!
6/ The spark plug leads plastic clip tree.. whats the secret opening them?! needless to say I cut the little buggers off...

Anyway, thanks to the members for the advice, this forum is an incredible resource, hopefully my Holden keeps powering along... until next time.

Below is a youtube video of the motor running, sounds so sweet... a wee bit of lifter rattle under the oil filler rocker cover... not enough to worry me.