Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the VX head gaskets -job almost done

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Well a bit of an update: Today is my first day off in a while, so having bought the gaskets and new head bolts, I figured to have a really close look at the heads.... I need glasses most days... and I discovered two cracks in one head. Bugger. The other head seemed fine.

So, I have a donor car with 330,00kms on the motor, although I could not get the car running due to having the car go into theft mode etc. The motor may have two good heads. So, I am pretty sure these heads are interchangeable from left or right, all I can notice is the spark plugs will point either forwards or backwards, not an issue. And I dont see a stamp RH or LH.

So, I reckon the best option is yank the heads off the donor car, examine them, use a good one to put on mine. I'm thinking as the donor car has not overheated, the heads will not need re-surfacing.

Any thoughts out there?

View attachment 222758
View attachment 222757
Just swap motors?

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
I have no way of checking the donor car motor. All I know is how many kms are on it, and that there is no evidence of the motor being stuffed. The donor car's motor may have other issues.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Well a bit of an update: Today is my first day off in a while, so having bought the gaskets and new head bolts, I figured to have a really close look at the heads.... I need glasses most days... and I discovered two cracks in one head. Bugger. The other head seemed fine.

So, I have a donor car with 330,00kms on the motor, although I could not get the car running due to having the car go into theft mode etc. The motor may have two good heads. So, I am pretty sure these heads are interchangeable from left or right, all I can notice is the spark plugs will point either forwards or backwards, not an issue. And I dont see a stamp RH or LH.

So, I reckon the best option is yank the heads off the donor car, examine them, use a good one to put on mine. I'm thinking as the donor car has not overheated, the heads will not need re-surfacing.

Any thoughts out there?

View attachment 222758
View attachment 222757
Left and right heads are interchangeable. Rip them off and have a look. If not cracked it’s unlikely you’ll need a skim but that’s a cheap job anyway.

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Thanks for the info, I was hoping they were interchangeable... I just figured knowing my luck.... Ironically, while everyone will be at home with the lock down, I will be working anyway so I wont get a chance to work on the car till thursday...

I'll keep ya'll posted,

Cheers, Gareth

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t forget to measure the piston protrusion for me. I used a dial indicator to do it properly but this photo captured my initial WTF moment as I was installing the new pistons. Shows what protrusion is quite nicely.

Attachments

• 332A66B8-74A2-4CB5-AF5C-854C12ED9583.jpeg
    332A66B8-74A2-4CB5-AF5C-854C12ED9583.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 83

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
YUp. Pop top pistons....

That's why we use .060 thick head gaskets.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
YUp. Pop top pistons....

That's why we use .060 thick head gaskets.
0.045 over the block wasn't gonna' cut it I'm afraid. -0.025 pistons had to go in with the thinnest head gaskets I had on hand. The block machinist and I took a while to work it out, but a few thou off the block and the original factory set up protruding to the extreme accounted for the measurement and the tendency my engine had to knock a little bit under mild loads. We stripped a couple of ecotecs and found .020 over two blocks and one at 0.030.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah 0.045" is a bit much.

Does seem like a lot of variation in the factory machining tolerances. :(

If I remember I'll measure mine when the heads go back on next week.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
When I ran into this I googled for hours and couldn't come up with much, not even from this forum. It'd be interesting to build a data set to see what's out there. We concluded that my engine in factory form was running a lot tighter than the ~0.035 you're supposed to allow for piston to head clearance. It had no signs of impact on the pistons and I got shy of 500,000kms from the engine. The machinist took 0.004 off each bank and we found a block with 0.030 from factory. ~0.040 might just be the 'technical limit' for ecotecs.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Most engine builders aim for 0.040" quench or the piston to head clearance but factory tolerances are normally more generous. Interestingly I can't find any mention to this specification in my literature. Will have to do a more thorough search I think.

I'd be surprised if mine are more than .020" proud of the deck surface just going off feel with my fine calibrated finger tip.