Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing valve springs

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
What sort of mileage should you get out of a set of valve springs?

I have PSI single beehives. Being single I’m paranoid about one breaking and dropping a valve. I’m pretty anal when it comes to maintenance.

Springs are rated to .625” lift and my cam .598” .602”

You don’t hear of people changing them much as a maintenance item.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Depends on ramp rates, oiling (heat kills them too), lift, max rpm etc etc.

There was a good thread on av8 if you wanted to do a search

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on ramp rates, oiling (heat kills them too), lift, max rpm etc etc.

There was a good thread on av8 if you wanted to do a search

Sorry what do you mean by av8?

Edit: think I’ve found what you meant. Can you remember the name of thread? A lot coming up to do with valve springs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are worried about dropping a valve than the only way to eliminate that risk is to fit a set of double springs.

How many stories do you hear of engines dropping valves when fairly much every modern OEM runs beehive style springs including the factory performance GM LS offerings.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you are worried about dropping a valve than the only way to eliminate that risk is to fit a set of double springs.

How many stories do you hear of engines dropping valves when fairly much every modern OEM runs beehive style springs including the factory performance GM LS offerings.

Yea when I originally got cam done I didn’t specify duals, (I thought he would use duals) Will definitely be going with them now.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
PSI is a good brand so I wouldn't be to concerned with them breaking. There is still a huge debate about single Vs double springs and doubles certainly do give a safety factor a single doesn't have but then a properly spec'd single will outperform a dual spring. Personally, I like beehive springs.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
PSI is a good brand so I wouldn't be to concerned with them breaking. There is still a huge debate about single Vs double springs and doubles certainly do give a safety factor a single doesn't have but then a properly spec'd single will outperform a dual spring. Personally, I like beehive springs.

Yea I have read that too about singles vs duals. There’s just always that thought in the back of my head about one breaking.

Tuner says he’s never had one fail.

Eventually I’ll build a motor but the SBE combo is still so strong even at 470rwkw and I want it to last as long as possible.