Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing valve stem seals...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I need to replace the valve stem seals on the VC 202 blue motor, I am going to try and do it with the head still on the motor, I can purchase a small screw down valve compressor that hooks onto the spring and the fitting to fill the cylinder with compressed air, but looking at the manual there does not appear to be much of the valve spring acessable to hook the spring compressor onto, I don't want to go and buy a valve spring compressor only to find there is not enough spring available to hook the spring compressor onto. Looking at the manual there does not appear to be much of the spring showing, the shroud seems to cover a lot of the spring, has any one change the seals on a 202 with the head left on the motor? I know it can be done this way on a lot of cars, my VR was done this way under warranty for faulty seals, only took the Holden guys a few hours to do the job.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Get one of these spring compressors...

9094279_lg.jpg

Just pull ya rocker gear off, fill ur cylinder with air, then chuck the spring compressor over the spring, the top sits on top of the retainer and pushes down on that, and get the bottom hooks around the lowest part of the spring possible, wind it down, remove the collets, then use a razor blade or sumfin sharp to slice the old seal off and remove it, put the new seal down into the groove, put ya collets back in and let the spring back up.

Remember to hit ya retainers first to loosen the collets.

Where are u getting ur air fitting to fit into the cylinder? I couldn't find one anywhere for sale, ended up having to borrow one.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Get one of these spring compressors...

9094279_lg.jpg

Just pull ya rocker gear off, fill ur cylinder with air, then chuck the spring compressor over the spring, the top sits on top of the retainer and pushes down on that, and get the bottom hooks around the lowest part of the spring possible, wind it down, remove the collets, then use a razor blade or sumfin sharp to slice the old seal off and remove it, put the new seal down into the groove, put ya collets back in and let the spring back up.

Remember to hit ya retainers first to loosen the collets.

Where are u getting ur air fitting to fit into the cylinder? I couldn't find one anywhere for sale, ended up having to borrow one.

Thanks for the advice Danny, I now know what type of spring compressor to look for, re the fitting for the spark plug to hook the airline up to, I rang a spare parts mob here in Victoria called 'East Coast Spares' it was the Ringwood store, from memory he said they were around $20 and he had them in stock, was about a month ago he had them so hopefully still available.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can smash the porcelain off a spark plug and weld on a stock airline fitting if you want a diy solution

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR