Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VK gearbox

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
diff car bro

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
for 800 bucks man you should deffonetly buy it.
and i dnt see why a diff would be any different?
tail shafts are pretty common at a wreckers

id be buying it and giving it a fair go

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
i just need to know whats involved in doing the work whats needed and how to go about it as this persons advice hasnt been all that constructive to myself

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
oh ok lol, well how good are you with cars? if u wanna do it urself youd proboly wanna have acess to a engine crain then attach the box to the engine and put it in as one peice
then if the pedals and cables are still their hook the clutch pedal up silde the tail shaft into the back of the box and then do up the uni joints at hte other end with the ubolts

ill look for some threads for u

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
Indeed I do so basically ur saying it will be easier to pull the engine and box out as one then replace the gear box with the manual attach relevant cables and what not slide box and motor back in and connect the rest of the **** all the wiring and what not with the ol m20s and 202s is rather straight forward isnt it

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
my apologies, thought you were saying i wasnt being constructive.

if you got a couple of lads, doing the box from underneath isnt all that bad. its just a real arse of a position to lift and its tough getting the car high enough to get the box in while resting on a jack. so you basically have to drag the box on its sump into position (ouch) and then lift it while laying on your back (ouch) and the worst part is you need to lift it without knocking the clutch pressure plate out of alignment and hole it for a minute while someone else does up bolts (double ouch) a lot of swearing, i can tell you... i once put my auto on a creeper and rolled it under, but it made it harder to lift into position.

jonnos way is a bit easier, but then you got all the headaches involved wih removing/refitiing. to be honest, if you havnt got a hoist i would probably be more likely to lift the whole engine too. the clutch and box bolt up so much nicer when they are on a stand, and lifting a 6 isnt that bad.