Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VK gearbox

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
It should be a fairly easy task to complete, as there is already everything there for you, I did an auto to manual conversion by myself in a VK
it was a pain doing the clutch pedals and cables etc etc, but yeah don't forget the bush that goes into the rear of the crankshaft, ( or make sure there isn't already one in there and pushed all the way in, as I think you can install an auto with this bush still in place, if the bush is in there but pushed all the way back you will have to move it flush with the end of the crank where the flywheel bolts on, if you need to do this fill the hole with grease and find a bolt or something that fits inside the bush fairly snug and hit it with a hammer this will move the bush out.)
if you have plenty of room under the car, you can do the bolts on top of the gearbox from under the car, I used like 4 or 5 long socket extensions, was much easier than reaching in from the engine bay.
my biggest mistake was putting an aussie 4 speed in first, lasted about 8 months, till I dropped all gears but 1st and reverse. got hold of an M21 from a v8 and put that in just had to change the bell housing.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Dont forget to put a manual spigot bush back into it.

I west looking for this post post #20 before it was mentioned for such an essential part :)

also remember to block off the auto vac line :)

cheers
scott

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
It probably doesnt have a vaccum line,thats why the gearbox has no third gear.

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Dont forget about the wiring in the auto shifter that stops the engine starting unless in Park (if you have it changed from the conversion) just unplug the auto shifter wires and plug in a manual loom, will prolly have your reverse light wires on it as well. If the car starts in drive was prolly never changed.