Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VK gearbox

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
Hey lads i know what ur gonna say its been convered its been covered use the search i used the search and found the guy u told to do the search and all the links u gave him but still nothing

basically looking at a vk that has all the manual running gear sitting in it but its running an auto atm but now that autos shat third so im thinking i may as well switch it back to the 4 speed if all the manual running gear bar the tail shaft is still in the car what am i required to do to put the manual back in please say it to me as if ur speaking to an illiterate person coz i pretty much am cheers

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
also would a vh m20 and tailshaft match up?

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
yeah and the manual diff and the clutch cable going into the bonnet all it needs is the box and drive shaft as far as im aware?
or is there other **** that would have been changed to make it an auto besides the interior bits

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
do u know how much i would roughly be looking at that especially since im in W.A the rip off place that it is just sizing up my options before committing

this is the car and hes only chasing 800 for it as is

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 239

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
its a berlina thats been group a kitted half assedly i can paint it and what not as i know the basics of all that its just the mechanical **** thats got me stumped atm

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mechanic would probably charge you for 10hrs or so remove and refit. then he will replace the clutch thrust bearing etc with new parts, machine the flywheel etc probably gonna cost you around $1k. i doubt you will find someone to do it though cos' that car looks pretty rough and mechanics dont really like sending out a car that isnt rwc.

for example, if the brakes are shot, a lot of guys will make you fix them. unless you pay for truck in-out. i dont blame them either.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
nah everything is honestly sweet on the car engine bay is sweet tyres are sweet breaks are sweet its just the auto box they have put in has lost 3rd
i have mates that will be able to swap it its just finding the time

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
also a mechanic just replaced my clutch and on his report said may want to do breaks soon as they are metal on metal