Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VS driveshaft centre bearing.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to replace the bearing in the middle of the driveshaft on a VS commodore yourself? And if so, how?

Thanks heaps.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes it is possible. There are a few threads on here explaining how to do it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Thanks for the help. I have just taken the rear of the driveshaft off the diff, then undid the 6 hex bolts, then separated the back half from where the hex bolts are...then was pleasantly surprised with all the oil out of the bearing or whatever it is falling out on top of me.
I still cant figure out how to get the old bearing out, which is in the bracket infront of the hex bolt bit. I took the bracket apart, and i undid the little clip on the rubber seal but have no idea how to get the old bearing off.
Please help cos i need my car by monday.
And does anyone know how i replace the lubricant that came out when i took the hex bolts off?

Thanks

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
thanks,

but how do i get the back shaft off the front shaft?

the joint with all the hex bolts is still on there and I am not quite sure how to get it off?? There is a snap ring in that joint (showing after i separated it from the back end of the shaft) If i take that off will it all slide off and leave the grooved part of the front shaft showing? Or will everything come apart and make a big mess? That is all i need to get off to give me access to sliding the centre bearing off and replacing it...Well i hope anyway :S haha

Cheers for the picture though

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
In the manual it says to remove the centre bearing,you have to remove the CV joint first,it says,mark the front and rear sections of the tail shaft.Remove the allen head bolts securing the rear section to the CV joint.Using a punch,tap the rear tail shaft flange off the CV joint.Remove the snap ring from behind the CV joint.Tap the dust boot retainer away from the CV and remove the gasket.Using suitable adaptor plates to provide contact with the inner section of the CV joint,press the CV joint from the front shaft.Remove the thrust washer and remaining snap ring.
Assembly=Pack the assembly with 80 grams of molybdenum grease,working it into the joint.Align and install the parts as marked on disassembly.Apply sealant to clean grease free mating areas on the CV joint and dust boot retainer.Apply sealant on the rear shaft flange and the threads of the allen head bolts.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes need a hydraulic press to get them apart really