Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VZ rear rotors

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I'm going to replace all of my brake rotors with slotted ones. I know how to replace the front rotors after doing 2 wheel hubs, but I'm not too sure about the rears. Is there anything I need to know before I go ripping the rotor off? Is there anything to do with the park brake I need to know?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
don't have the park brake on when you try take the rotors off, they won't come off hahahaha...also, if you can't get them off, even with a bit of a tap with the hammer etc, it might be because there is lip on the inside of the rotor where the park brake shoes sit, you might have to back the handbrake off at the little adjuting wheel for them to come off...but most likely, if theres is a bit of a lip, you might not get the new ones on unless you back the parkbrake off because there would be more metal on the new rotor compared to the old one...if your parkbrake shoes are glossy, get some sandpaper and sand the glossyness off, not only will you have a better handbrake, but then the shoes and rotor can bed in abit better over a long time...other then that, should be sweet as:)

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Cool, but how do you back the park brake off? Where is this wheel you mentioned?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Take the rubber grommets out of the rotor and look inside with a torch while turning the rotor.

Youll see a small wheel with teeth on it that you turn to adjust the handbrake shoes, if the rotor locks up you know you went the wrong way.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yea mate, as ricey said...before you tackle the job look up how to do the handbrake adjustment..you have to back it off at the handbrake lever, then adjust it at the rear wheels...from what i remember, the right side handbrake adjustment wheel was directly at the bottom of the rotor, you might not have rubber grommets, i found on my ute i didn't, they've probably been taken out and not put back in, but yea, they're the little holes inside the rotor...the left wheel had the adjustment wheel at about the 7 or 8 oclock position...no idea why, but that how it has been on both my ute and my parents vy acclaim...if you want to mate, you can add me on facebook (my signature) my msn is on there too if you want to talk abit quicker on how to do it...and if your stuck on the job, i'll give you my number if you like and we can talk about it abit quicker rather then waiting for replies on the forums...cheers mate

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
What a prick of a job that was. Whoever designed that park brake adjustment to be so darn hard to get to should be shot. A couple tips...the cogs are at the bottom, slightly off centre. On mine, rear pasg side was up to loosen, down to tighten. Take old pads out before you remove from rotor.

My park brake pads at full loosen were getting dragged out unevenly when removing the rotor. Had me worried, wasted hours, but eventually after "phone a friend" i gave in to brute force, used a small rod to punch them loose on the side (minor edge chip...would replace if main brakes, but leaving as is for park brake. Fingers crossed). Oh...i had to loosen shock as it was in the way of my socket. Rqn out of light. Applying beer. Tomorrow, i tackle the next side.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
LOL, actually did these on both my wife's VZ and my VZ 2 weeks ago.
Reasonably easy to do considering I am 70 and don't get under cars too easy these days.
Easiest way with adjusting the park brake is replace 2 wheel nuts on the rotor to centre the rotor/drum, and use a rubber mallet, or steel hammer and piece of timber, to jar the shoes into their correct alignment as you adjust.
As to take old pads out before removing rotor, why ?? all you do is push/pull the caliper against the rotor to ease the piston back a little so the pads will clear the rotor.

Hope this helps with the other side.

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
The problem was getting the drum off without dragging the park brake which was caught, and despite it being on full loose, wouldnt give. Have changed em on other cars before with no problem.

Taking the pads out was a tip to make it easier to handle when putting back on to new rotor when you were going to replace pads. Easier to unbolt to release pads when caliper is still bolted to the rotor, particulalry if it doesnt want to behave.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Howdy, the information in the accompanying PDF will help you work through the Park Brake issues. Good luck.

Attachments

• VZ Commodore Park Brake adjustment etc.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 985

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Howdy, the information in the accompanying PDF will help you work through the Park Brake issues. Good luck.
Ty Ben boy. I sorted it out. Your pics would have made life easier, and will help the next person. :)