Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing wipers on VE

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
It's funny this old thread got bumped last night because it was just yesterday morning that I discovered the weird system used for wiper blades on these.
As my ute has just been a weekend toy for the few months I've owned it (still trying to sell the old car, so it remains my daily for now) I've never driven it in the rain or used the wipers. While at Supercheap I figured I should grab a new set of blades for it, because I have no idea when the previous owner last changed them, and it's only $20-30 for a set of wiper blades right? :eek:
I couldn't believe it was almost $35 for each side, especially considering the passenger side blade is barely more than half the length of the driver side blade.

Anyways, I turned to eBay and there are complete sets to be had on there for about $30 but they are all brands I've never really heard of. I've generally stuck with Tridon blades and I don't want to get something made with dodgy rubber that will scratch my windscreen. So, can anyone offer any feedback on good or bad brands that are floating around on eBay? Has anyone had a bad experience with cheaper blades?

Yep it's daylight robbery for such a basic part, after my first supercheap shock I've bought from Ebay

Holden VE Commodore Wiper Blades 06 ON Windscreen Wiper Blades Aerotech | eBay

These are fine, you can also get some in a pack with oil fiter/air filter that seem good value

Filter Wiper Service KIT Holden Commodore VE V8 A1557 Z663 RCA162P 26" 15" | eBay

postage hurts though

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Thanks BlackVE. Those Aerotech blades in your first link are the exact product and seller I was looking at getting them from. lol
How long have you been using them? The rubber hasn't gone hard or brittle? No funny squeeks when in use?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
No issues, for the price you can get 2 lots. We have 3 Ve's in the stable.

Once I got genuine GM wipers for $35(ebay of course) but they seem about the same quality

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
coloured ones
:spew:
Just kidding, I used to do the coloured wiper blades thing, but I prefer a subtle plain black these days.
I was looking at the black Tridon brand there last week and I'm sure they were approx $35 each. What brand were the coloured ones?

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
What...? Why are you guys doing it this way.....? You CAN buy the 6.5 or 8 mm (or whatever size) generic brand... The ones you cut to length! Did my ve ages ago then told my father about it and he had a look and the ends pop off allowing the blade to slide in and out.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
What...? Why are you guys doing it this way.....? You CAN buy the 6.5 or 8 mm (or whatever size) generic brand... The ones you cut to length! Did my ve ages ago then told my father about it and he had a look and the ends pop off allowing the blade to slide in and out.

If youve got the European style wiper blades, as standard, you can destroy the assembly to replace them.

But its a fiddly crappy job. Theyre not made to be replaced. Not to mention the quality of those inserts is usually fairly meh.

The Trico ones are maybe 25-30 bucks each depending on where you go and on ebay you can get the standard Euro types for under 40 for the pair.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
I received my eBay 'Aerotech' wipers today. Although they come with no packaging apart from the cardboard box they were posted in and plastic slide-off covers to protect the rubber blades so I have no idea who actually makes them.
I was surprised to see the blades themselves are just the normal replaceable ones like Michael-08 said. I hadn't bothered looking at the blades currently installed.
I thought you could just replace the blades themselves if you pull the end caps off but there's also the rubber 'wing' on the front side of the assembly, which I guess gives it down force, and they were looking pretty weathered and crappy on my old units.
Either way for less than $30, and looking virtually identical to the stock items, I am more than happy with the cheap eBay items. It's better to have some dark black blades going on. Much nicer looking than the weathered grey looking old units.