Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Xenon Bulbs in a Caprice

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
One of Xenon bulbs has sort of blown. It's cyclng between working and not working.

I rang the local dealer, and they informed me that this was normal when a Xenon is on the way out. Apparently, they cycel on and off for a while and then go off for good. Interesting....

The manual states that you have to take it bake to a dealer to have the xenons replaced. The dealer couldn't provde an estimate as they hadn't had top change one before. Given the numebr of Caprices that I've seen around town with only one headlight, I find that claim interesting too.

They also couldn't tell me what was involved in replacing the bulbs.

There's no access portal on the back of the headlights, so I'm guessing that I need to take the headlights out. And to do that, I will need to take the fron bar off.

Is this the case?

Cheers

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'd say that's the case. I dare say you could buy generic HID bulbs of eBay to use - at a cost of about 30 to 50 bucks it could be worth a shot, saves paying massive amounts of money to Holden. Front bar needs to come off to remove headlights too.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
90% sure that yes, the bar will need to be removed.

gc08wgn

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5ltr statesman wagon vs 5ltr caprice
don't think so should be able to have access from back of lamp for main light zenon no diff from standard

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
don't think so should be able to have access from back of lamp for main light zenon no diff from standard

Nope, no access from the back of the light. The back cover is screwed on, you can't get to the screws while the headlight is still in the car.

Wmcaprice10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden caprice
There is no need to take bumper off you can access all 6 bolts without taking off bumper , I got 2010 caprice v6. You can access three top screws from bonnet and bottom three by taking front tyre off.

bsmith83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve berlina sedan v6/4a
The lhs high beam globe on my ‘12 caprice v has blown. Can I buy another hid globe and change it myself?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The lhs high beam globe on my ‘12 caprice v has blown. Can I buy another hid globe and change it myself?

You can if you want to but you risk electrical shock if you do. You have been warned.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I've changed HID bulbs before.

I did wear cotton gloves though.