Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Report a car sales yard

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
But the innocent are
David McBride, Bernard Collery, Richard Boyle. Hopefully we will see less of that kind of crap now that dictator Scott Morrison isn’t governing us!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
There was a detailed article in the New Zealand Herald website a couple of years back that explained the history of the CTV building, with the design and contruction non-compliances which were profound.
We were in Christchuch doing a drive around of the South Island in Feb '11.
Doing the touristy things, we were walking to the Museum when we came across 'Jack', wearing his chauffeur uniform, and taking tourists on a trip around Christchurch in his convertible Model A Ford.
He was so proud that Christchurch has cleaned up after the Sep'10 earthquake, roads repaired, wrecked building demolished, and residents getting on with their lives ............... a complete contrast to what happened in Newcastle in Dec '89, when the city just went into a coma for years.
The CTV building was a stop on the trip, he explained how important is was, the modern design, and the employment.
We were impressed with the city and the recovery, and the NZ pride with getting on with the job.

We flew out 2 weeks later, and the quake hit 2 days after. With such fresh memories it was devastating to us ................ and we were not even there.

PS ........ in Dec '18, 'Jack' was in Akaroa with his Model A doing similar tourist trips, it was great to re-introduce ourselves an get an insight into his personal experiences of that period.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
We were in Christchuch doing a drive around of the South Island in Feb '11.
Doing the touristy things, we were walking to the Museum when we came across 'Jack', wearing his chauffeur uniform, and taking tourists on a trip around Christchurch in his convertible Model A Ford.
He was so proud that Christchurch has cleaned up after the Sep'10 earthquake, roads repaired, wrecked building demolished, and residents getting on with their lives ............... a complete contrast to what happened in Newcastle in Dec '89, when the city just went into a coma for years.
The CTV building was a stop on the trip, he explained how important is was, the modern design, and the employment.
We were impressed with the city and the recovery, and the NZ pride with getting on with the job.

We flew out 2 weeks later, and the quake hit 2 days after. With such fresh memories it was devastating to us ................ and we were not even there.

PS ........ in Dec '18, 'Jack' was in Akaroa with his Model A doing similar tourist trips, it was great to re-introduce ourselves an get an insight into his personal experiences of that period.
The CTV building was declared safe after the first big quakes in Sep 2010. I don't know by whom, but obviously work not done to a high standard or thoroughly enough, leading to inncents perishing. Not capable engineers.
The original construction was supervised by a gentleman who allegedly assumed an old friend's name and tookover his Engineering Degree. This guy apparently lives in Australia now, but this may also be part of a very long story.
Seems like negilegence and fraud leading to manslaughter to me, but I'm not a lawyer.
The ACC system in NZ was designed to prevent any blame being placed on the culpable people. I think I'll do civil and structural engineering in NZ, it seems I would not need to worry about getting proper sign offs or endangering people's lives.

edit: I'm feeling annoyed by the CTV case - so many fcukups done to save money in the construction phases and follow up investigations. They did not save people's lives as they were meant to.
And I'm not even involved, other than always enjoying Christchurch in the innumerable times I have been there. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I would think that when they inspected the CTV building after the first quake they were looking for signs of damage. The first earthquake may not have had the right amplitude or strength to do any visible damage and really there is no way to see the substandard work hidden inside concrete structures that lacked the adequate re-enforcing etc that failed so spectacularly in the 2nd quake.

I know that post earthquake once the investigations began there was debate about who was responsible but by that time the guy in question was no longer registered so the authority that monitors engineering said they could do nothing.

Ultimately it is up to the police to investigate and charge people but the cops didn't seem interested. ACC only means that those who suffer a injury can't sue the person responsible but that doesn't mean the authorities can't pursue those that are guilty of negligence. ACC only covers accidents.

In the last few years the cops have taken much greater vigor to pursue persons they believe have been negligent in matters other than criminal enterprise.

Unfortunately the Chch earthquake is quite a saga that doesn't start and finish with the CTV fiasco, the reality is the way the last government handled that people are still suffering today.

Same with the Pike River tragedy.