Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resale: Stock V Modified

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I'm keeping mine stock. IMHO, I reckon it's fast enough and handles well as it is. I intend to keep it for quite some time yet but when I eventually decide to sell it I'm hedging my bets that it will be worth more as a stock.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm keeping mine stock. IMHO, I reckon it's fast enough and handles well as it is. I intend to keep it for quite some time yet but when I eventually decide to sell it I'm hedging my bets that it will be worth more as a stock.

100% agree. Apart from tinting, opticoat and headlight/bonnet protectors, I'm keeping the Senator the same as it was the day it rolled out of HSV on the 29/12/17.

I'll pass the thing on to my (now) 16mth old boy in years to come and hopefully he will appreciate what we were once able to manufacture in this country....no doubt he'll be shocked that engines used to make a glorious noise.... :/

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m guessing that was before Gumtree, Carsales and eBay, where the majority of second hand cars are sold today.
Yep, this is back when that was all through ... The Trading Post.
Tell 'im e's dreamin'.

Yeah it’s either deregulated or gone to shiit, doesn’t matter really, point is there is more trustworthy information, dialogue, opinion instantly available that affects price and demand and turnover within every category now free, and free of the fear and control tactics used by the middle man and his Redbook or Glass Guide.
We used to get our data from auction results and a handful of dealers. But mostly auction results.
BTW ... the reality with Glass' Guide and Red Book was that if the dealer pulled it out it was a bargaining tactic. If any dealer involved in pricing a trade-in actually needed a guide book to price a car, they'd have been fired quicker than a thing that's really quick.

Trust and confidence in car buying comes from communication (with real humans) and knowledge (given freely on sites like this and socmed), both more accessible to the risk averse buyer today without fear of commitment. For checking veracity of seller claims, ownership and all sorts of history from big data mining there’s help for you to keep chaste.
On a Volvo forum, one of the guy's daughter is on holidays in the UK and he posted a photo she'd taken of a particular Volvo.
Two of the others recognised it as one of the entrances to the University of Edinburgh, and one of the others posted a photo he'd taken a couple of years back of the same car parked in almost exactly the same parking spot.
You could see the number plate so I Googled it ... and WOW, the UK pink-slip details since 2007 are posted on their registration-authority site for all to see! So you can tell what it had failed MOT for, what work had been needed to pass MOT, any comments made etc.
Kinda scary in a way ...

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
If the mods are done tastefully well to the right buyer they can improve the resale but u narrow the customer base that the cars would appeal to.

When modding think of OEM+. And it’s a good idea to make the mods semi reversible. I guess it’s hard to reverse a stroker crank and cam lol.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If mods were done smartly with common sense it shouldn't affect value of car...

Downside is most modifieds are either done badly with owners cutting corners or in poor taste giving you impression it's been badly treated(usually true)
The most needed human trait is often the least accessible.

Some tradies I’ve met behave as if Australian Standards are something to strive towards, which they often fail to meet, instead of the minimum mandated standard that they are... Some are fantastic at their trade...

In the same sense, some modded vehicles I’ve seen are far from well engineered let alone roadworthy. Unless it can be clearly demonstrated that the vehicle is engineered correctly, why buy someone else’s problems?

There are lots of standard vehicles available with more than acceptable performance, especially if your not tied to a specific brand.

As such, I have always given modified vehicles a wide berth.

And as mentioned by others, if the target group is smaller for modded vehicles, it may be harder to sell at the desired price.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I’m the opposite.
When searching for cars/projects i tend to purchase ones with mods that i intend to do as it then saves $$ in developing the car from scratch. Problem for me is when I was looking for my ve Ute (some 6yrs a go now) there wasn’t many modded ones and generally the school of though back then was stick the biggest cam u can in. Not so great for a work daily driver. I settled on my ute that some poor dude before me put on the full walkinshaw bolt on kit no doubt for a hefty cost. I’m still running on the same headers and exhaust.

lockwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MSE
I don’t believe all cars that are modified are thrashed. I put the w375 pack on my manual MSE primarily for the sound and that bit extra pick up from the increase in torque it provided making the driving experience more enjoyable without revving it out. Other than on the Dyno, mine hasn’t gone beyond 4,500 rpm and is always driven gently.
Ps, mine is up for sale. $66,500, I don’t think that is excessive!

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I don’t believe all cars that are modified are thrashed. I put the w375 pack on my manual MSE primarily for the sound and that bit extra pick up from the increase in torque it provided making the driving experience more enjoyable without revving it out. Other than on the Dyno, mine hasn’t gone beyond 4,500 rpm and is always driven gently.
Ps, mine is up for sale. $66,500, I don’t think that is excessive!

not excessive until you check on carsales and find its more than a new one :0

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I am a watch collector. Due to the large number of fakes in the Rolex end of the market, people get scared when buying second hand if it is genuine. The old saying "buy the seller, not the item" applies somewhat here. I have modded my car (and don't care about resale as it will never be sold by me) but the mods are tasteful, car never tracked or about above 4-5 k apart from the dyno. I am the age of an old age pensioner and a fanatic, so buy the seller :)

lockwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MSE
I hear you, but mine has 1,300 k’s, Walkinshaw kit with bi-modal, $7,200 plus custom cover $800, plus 3M front end protection $1,400, and more, over $10,000 on top of the car