Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resale: Stock V Modified

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I hear you, but mine has 1,300 k’s, Walkinshaw kit with bi-modal, $7,200 plus custom cover $800, plus 3M front end protection $1,400, and more, over $10,000 on top of the car
i hope you get the price you want, just might not be the best time to part with it when there is still a lot of unsold stock.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I hear you, but mine has 1,300 k’s, Walkinshaw kit with bi-modal, $7,200 plus custom cover $800, plus 3M front end protection $1,400, and more, over $10,000 on top of the car
to a person buying a second hand car that usually means nothing very few would put value on those mods most of us see a young bloke reving the ring out of a modified vehicle.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
to a person buying a second hand car that usually means nothing very few would put value on those mods most of us see a young bloke reving the ring out of a modified vehicle.
Really? I don't think that's quite the image Walkinshaw and their admen had in mind when it spent millions to convince people that these magical mods are worth many thousands and add thousands to resale (coz remember... Tom)!
Way I see it there are people who buy sporty cars and never explore the potential, whether that is longevity mods, fuel consumption mods, cooling mods, handling mods, wheels and braking mods, NVH mods, exhaust note, induction roar, never mind actual performance mods. Basically they don't care, and that ultimately shows in terms of mechanical sympathy. It's not that they don't want to, is because they are risk averse and lack the required competency. That's the thrill in discovering treasure in a well-sorted car owned by someone who gives a ****.
I see two types of car buyers - those who want a plain cheap AF veal parmy (offal schnitzel in disguise) and those who appreciate the important difference with proper veal Milanese or saltimbocca a'la Romana. To the former pub-goer it doesn't matter plain cheap straight parmy known commodity (unknown origin) on special, to the latter its an almost spiritual ascension of appreciation for the thought and effort that results in the detail. Pub parmy and a glass of factory beer (coz all same shiit product thrown together) vs the proof of satisfaction in enjoying a scallopini - the way it comes together with a glass of dry red, without need for explanation it just works, with so much more value passed on.
Vis-a-vis car mods, is not the sum of its parts but how it comes together, else buyers are shopping for price based on commodity.
A mate in the wine trade sells wine bottle openers for a living, not like 50¢-$5 stuff, but $500 to $1500 for bespoke custom gear. Point being that maintaining plain vanilla factory, known item, boring as batshit shoeboxed item in tissue, on the basis of offloading it in pristine condition to suit commodity buyers is, I suggest, not the way to enjoy the potential of what you have, the possibilities of what could've been be with a little dedicated thought and courage, and the satisfaction of passing on the story (and value) of what's been created to another like-minded buyer.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Point being that maintaining plain vanilla factory, known item, boring as batshit shoeboxed item in tissue, on the basis of offloading it in pristine condition to suit commodity buyers is, I suggest, not the way to enjoy the potential of what you have, the possibilities of what could've been be with a little dedicated thought and courage, and the satisfaction of passing on the story (and value) of what's been created to another like-minded buyer.
This is absolutely true!

However the question was resale; the answer is (with few exceptions ... eg. maybe a McLaren F1 modified to the latest specs by McLaren themselves for example) better standard.
The question wasn’t “which is a better place to spend your money”, as if everything was entirely about $$ then none of us would have bought new & almost none of us would be in anything more than an Omega or Executive!

I guess that kinda makes the question a bit superfluous given the section of the forum in which it was asked?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Iaculis ante pulvinar conubia ac velit senectus in netus, torquent sociosqu enim est vitae egestas ornare blandit metus, gravida nam velit himenaeos interdum vehicula amet tristique venenatis molestie mi quam commodo imperdiet sagittis enim volutpat, malesuada placerat phasellus viverra hac conubia sem adipiscing bibendum, curabitur feugiat placerat sit tincidunt morbi taciti cras primis justo congue suscipit nulla platea nibh euismod facilisis cursus sagittis, neque cubilia bibendum tortor primis adipiscing elementum feugiat vel vivamus lacinia, gravida eu volutpat pellentesque laoreet primis enim est nullam amet primis magna aptent quis conubia est felis urna.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
It is quite true that many wouldn't buy a second hand modified vehicle, they would buy one then probably modify it themselves. It is human nature to add their own touches to make it "different". I modified my ute to enhance the driving pleasures, not worry about the resale value as the ute will be fully "depreciated" after 5 years by my accountant and I will have to pay tax on the resale value when I sell it afterwards. A well looked after vehicle will always valued more, modified or not but do not expect to recoup the money on modifications after getting years of driving pleasures. As I were saying, cars are for enjoyment, not investment. Unless one keeps it wrap up in a warehouse and wait 50 years, but then there are many other better investments if one has further 50 years to live.

lockwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MSE
I’m 72 years of age.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Frackin' retired hoon whippersnappers ... get off my grass!!
*shakes fist*

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I would still go with new :)

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Really? I don't think that's quite the image Walkinshaw and their admen had in mind when it spent millions to convince people that these magical mods are worth many thousands and add thousands to resale (coz remember... Tom)!
Way I see it there are people who buy sporty cars and never explore the potential, whether that is longevity mods, fuel consumption mods, cooling mods, handling mods, wheels and braking mods, NVH mods, exhaust note, induction roar, never mind actual performance mods. Basically they don't care, and that ultimately shows in terms of mechanical sympathy. It's not that they don't want to, is because they are risk averse and lack the required competency. That's the thrill in discovering treasure in a well-sorted car owned by someone who gives a ****.
I see two types of car buyers - those who want a plain cheap AF veal parmy (offal schnitzel in disguise) and those who appreciate the important difference with proper veal Milanese or saltimbocca a'la Romana. To the former pub-goer it doesn't matter plain cheap straight parmy known commodity (unknown origin) on special, to the latter its an almost spiritual ascension of appreciation for the thought and effort that results in the detail. Pub parmy and a glass of factory beer (coz all same shiit product thrown together) vs the proof of satisfaction in enjoying a scallopini - the way it comes together with a glass of dry red, without need for explanation it just works, with so much more value passed on.
Vis-a-vis car mods, is not the sum of its parts but how it comes together, else buyers are shopping for price based on commodity.
A mate in the wine trade sells wine bottle openers for a living, not like 50¢-$5 stuff, but $500 to $1500 for bespoke custom gear. Point being that maintaining plain vanilla factory, known item, boring as batshit shoeboxed item in tissue, on the basis of offloading it in pristine condition to suit commodity buyers is, I suggest, not the way to enjoy the potential of what you have, the possibilities of what could've been be with a little dedicated thought and courage, and the satisfaction of passing on the story (and value) of what's been created to another like-minded buyer.

Monstar when I am ready to mod the series 1 Redline I hope I can come see you for mods and poetic eloquence :)