Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reset TPS

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
i was at my mates house and a guy came over to look at the car and asked if i had reset the throttle position sensor in it and i said no i havent touched it

quoting what he said to me

"if you take the battery off for about 10 mins, then re connect it and start the car and hold the revs at 1500rpm, for about 20 seconds then turn the car off, and let it do the checks before you start it , then start it, it will feel better throttle response"

is this true? wanting to know some other opinions

cheers

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
sounds like crap to me, if you disconnected the battery for that long it will probably reset the PCM when reconnected, which means it loses all learnt data and adaptive data. So it will feel different (possibly more responsive) but will start learning and adjusting to your driving style again.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
On anything before the VT series 2, yes, but it's only 10 second disconnect, and rev to 2000 rpm for 10 seconds.

Since the VT2 the TPS is self learning, makes no difference.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Besides using Tech2 you can reset the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) by disconnecting it (plug that connects to the throttle body) and cycling the ignition to On but don't crank the engine. This will throw up a DTC on the dash including engine light. You will need to have Holden or use a scan tool to reset the error codes. However this has absolutely no impact on throttle response, it is more to do with idle.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
sounds like crap to me, if you disconnected the battery for that long it will probably reset the PCM when reconnected, which means it loses all learnt data and adaptive data. So it will feel different (possibly more responsive) but will start learning and adjusting to your driving style again.

so if i disconnected the battery and left for a bit and it "forgot" all the driving i did and previous owners, then it would just adapt to the way i drive after i reconnected??

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
no it just loses the fuel trims. would have already adapted to your driving. waste of time.