Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resetting the SRS Airbag warning

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi guys,

I am not a mechanic, but I have a VZ and on several occassions, usually only after hard breaking, the SRS airbag warning comes on and stays on till I get Holden to clear it and always for a large sum of around $100.

After they clear it, its usually good for months or unless I heavy break (still testing this pattern).

But anyway, whats the cheapest device you know that I can connect to the system to clear the code myself instead of paying Holden to do it. I know theres one on eBay but Im not sure what to choose when it comes to the cheapest one that would do the job.

Any advice will help :)

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Anything that can clear lights that is obd2

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V

dorteerts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Cross 6 Crewman
Hi guys,

I am not a mechanic, but I have a VZ and on several occassions, usually only after hard breaking, the SRS airbag warning comes on and stays on till I get Holden to clear it and always for a large sum of around $100.

After they clear it, its usually good for months or unless I heavy break (still testing this pattern).

But anyway, whats the cheapest device you know that I can connect to the system to clear the code myself instead of paying Holden to do it. I know theres one on eBay but Im not sure what to choose when it comes to the cheapest one that would do the job.

Any advice will help :)

I just hope you mean "braking" rather than going around and "breaking" your car.
Have you considered fixing the fault causing the Airbag Warning to come on before having the code cleared?:hmmm:

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
That scan tool won't clear Srs faults Only tech 2 can clear Srs related faults due to it been a safety device

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
That scan tool won't clear Srs faults Only tech 2 can clear Srs related faults due to it been a safety device
Hello... I tend to agree with you. I wasnt too certain about the first post which stated anything OBD2 compliant. I know by Holden that they need Tech2.
Do you know whether such a device is available to me at a reasonable price?

I just hope you mean "braking" rather than going around and "breaking" your car.
Have you considered fixing the fault causing the Airbag Warning to come on before having the code cleared?:hmmm:
haha, yeah, sorry, braking of course.
Holden has said it could be a bad ABS module. But wouldnt that send off a ABS warning and not a SRS warning??

I really think its a loose wire somewhere. The problem only started soon after they recalled the car to adjust the side impact airbags. Of course I cant blame them and confirm this is it, but after 4 attempts for them to fix it, and sometimes at a charge to me, is all they did was reset the sensors and it went away for a few months.

I might go to Kmart and see what they say. They know me well, but Id still much prefer to do some diagnostics myself and be able to reset the sensor myself and put the car to a test of my own ie heavy braking, hard bumps etc to see if its just a loose cable or something similar :S

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
Tech 2 is not available to us normal people what is holden telling u when they clear it so we have a starting point to what is causing the fault

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Yeah, damn that.
They last said when they cleared the message it was a abs module that needs replacing. Next month when Iv got more time I hope to get that sorted with Kmart if they have the scanner cause I think some mechanics do have the tech2 from what Iv read.

If its giving me warnings now, Id hate to get in an accident and have no airbags so yeah, I think its safest to get it fixed. I just need confirmation that it is the abs module and not something much cheaper.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
u can get a exchange abs module through your local parts store and change it your self then give back your old one saves a few dollars then get the light cleared there are lot of mechanics that do have the tech 2 software aswell though in looking at my diagram of the Srs layout the only thing that the abs share is the data line so if the abs is not working correctly the Srs can't communicate correctly u would possibly get a fault do u ever get the abs fault come up on the centre display had any battery issues lately

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
u can get a exchange abs module through your local parts store and change it your self then give back your old one saves a few dollars then get the light cleared there are lot of mechanics that do have the tech 2 software aswell though in looking at my diagram of the Srs layout the only thing that the abs share is the data line so if the abs is not working correctly the Srs can't communicate correctly u would possibly get a fault do u ever get the abs fault come up on the centre display had any battery issues lately

That is very interesting you mentioned batt issues. Last year, NRMA installed a faulty battery. Took 3months to figure that out too. During that time I got heaps of ABS fault codes and SRS warnings.
However, with the new battery inplace, Im fairly sure its just a SRS warning I get now on each startup. All codes have been cleared several times after the new battery was installed. But makes sense what you're saying about them using the same data line.

Next month when I have more time available Ill get Kmart to sort it out. What you have said sorta makes sense with what Holden is saying. Im not a mechanic but its great to at least understand the problems.

Cheers!