Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resetting the SRS Airbag warning

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If the code logs on startup it call be a lack of comms due to low voltage when cranking.

It would help a lot to know what the code is thats being logged..

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
We went through this only 2 months or so ago. That scan tool won't clear or even show the SRS fault, however there is one thats about $400 the cheapest ive seen called the Maxitel SRS and oil light reset. We almost bought one ourselves to reset an srs light but got a mechanic to do it in the end.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
We went through this only 2 months or so ago. That scan tool won't clear or even show the SRS fault, however there is one thats about $400 the cheapest ive seen called the Maxitel SRS and oil light reset. We almost bought one ourselves to reset an srs light but got a mechanic to do it in the end.

I think for that price I might just a pay the little extra and get the problem sorted out completely. I guess if the device was under $150 I wouldv considered it.
But thanks for bringing that to my attention!

rizzle69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Cross8
Hi guys,
Newbie on the forum but felt like putting sticking my nose in on this one.
In my opinion the SRS is probably being triggered by a faulty wire under one of the front seats.
In my VY there is a yellow & orange plug on the left of the passenger seat which, if unplugged while the key in on will trigger the fault.
I found this out the hard way when I installed an amp under the passenger seat.

I am a software developer and thinking of buying the elcheapo diagnostic tool from ebay which really is just a connector and USB to connect to a PC. It seems the software supplied only matches up any diagnostic code with a database. I am wondering if I can write something to do some basic resets.

From what I can gather there are lots of blokes who get the SRS warning from installing amps, water spills during detailing or installing new seats.

According to the book you can hit the mode button to reduce the size of the warning on your cluster but until you get it reset from Holden your airbags and srs are disabled.

Cheers
Rick

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi guys,
Newbie on the forum but felt like putting sticking my nose in on this one.
In my opinion the SRS is probably being triggered by a faulty wire under one of the front seats.
In my VY there is a yellow & orange plug on the left of the passenger seat which, if unplugged while the key in on will trigger the fault.
I found this out the hard way when I installed an amp under the passenger seat.

I am a software developer and thinking of buying the elcheapo diagnostic tool from ebay which really is just a connector and USB to connect to a PC. It seems the software supplied only matches up any diagnostic code with a database. I am wondering if I can write something to do some basic resets.

From what I can gather there are lots of blokes who get the SRS warning from installing amps, water spills during detailing or installing new seats.

According to the book you can hit the mode button to reduce the size of the warning on your cluster but until you get it reset from Holden your airbags and srs are disabled.

Cheers
Rick

Thanks Rick... I appreciate your reply. Im terribly busy over the next two weeks but when I get to it, I will certainly check out that plug you referred to. Not even Holden themselves who attempted to solve the problem suggested this. They just kept resetting the damn thing.

Id love to be able to reset the thing myself but not for the price people are asking. I might try unplugging that thing and reconnecting it without the keys in the ignition and then take it to someone who can reset it cheaply to see if that is the culprit. Otherwise Ill just get them to work it out.

Appreciate it!

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
most modern work shops have scan tools that can scan srs systems. I have one that i use daily and its not a tech2, tho do have access to as tech2 without the holden repair costing of diagnosis :)

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
According to the book you can hit the mode button to reduce the size of the warning on your cluster but until you get it reset from Holden your airbags and srs are disabled
to clarify, when it does the start up check it gets to the check then beeps and illuminate an SRS Failure warning. Hitting mode clears that from the cluster, same as the low fuel warning, but a bright red SRS light stays on in the left hand corner and as mentioned its disabled.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
most modern work shops have scan tools that can scan srs systems. I have one that i use daily and its not a tech2, tho do have access to as tech2 without the holden repair costing of diagnosis :)

Great to know. I dont think I would want to use a mechanic who doesnt have the technology to scan these problems on widely used cars as from Holden.

to clarify, when it does the start up check it gets to the check then beeps and illuminate an SRS Failure warning. Hitting mode clears that from the cluster, same as the low fuel warning, but a bright red SRS light stays on in the left hand corner and as mentioned its disabled.

Yep, thats what happens lol