Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

resetting warning of abs fault

Morg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 SPORTWAGON and HK GTS MONARO.
Can anyone help with resetting of abs fault and stability control off? After changing rear wheel bearing have abs fault and stability control off, comming up on the panel, although both seem to be working fine. Cheers All.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
You shouldn't need to reset those. If there's no problem they should go away on there own. Playing with the computers can require matching it back up, but you didn't do that. I'm guessing it's a fault with the abs sensor. A scan tool capable of reading codes other than the P codes can confirm this, cheap ebay ones won't. However if you've got a multimeter, you can check. Test the resistance of the sensor. When mine died the good sensor would give a resistance in one direction only, the dead sensor was the same in either direction. The other big problem I've heard of is with the section of harness that plugs into the sensor being damaged from it not really being long enough and can be damaged with movement. Apparently a cheap plug in extension to replace from what I hear, not having to cut into the harness. So should be able to test that too with a multimeter. That's the first two things I'd check.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
ok.. what u have is a common problem on the VE. what is causing it is the Rear ABS Loom. its actually the left side plug on the loom. over time it gets corrosion on the socket. and only takes sometimes a knock to stuff it. i had the same with mine when i did my brakes on back. the loom will cost u about $55 from holden. its a Y cable. plugs into 2 wheel sensors. and then goes up to the main socket which is located under the rear sill just below the rear driver side door.. its not a hard job. little hard un clipping the cable from the body clips. u want to get the rear of car up high. i used 2 jack stands removed my rear wheels. unplugged the cable and fitted the new one.. no longer get the ABS/ESP fault now. even holden service dept when picking up my cable told me its common problem on some VE. just happens over time. but otherwise simple fix to do it yourself.

the photo is of my old cable removed..

Attachments

• 1405022_677074685658296_1884179778_o.jpg
    1405022_677074685658296_1884179778_o.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,946
Last edited:

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Stupid question but have you tried driving for a few kms?
Its not uncommon for the faults/lights to come up after the rear wheels have spun while the fronts are completely stationary.
Above post sounds right otherwise.

Justinaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv L98 '06
Silly question , have you plugged a scanner in to see what codes come up ? ESP can MIL from about a million different sensors and even from a poor wheel alignment. If your in VIC your more than welcome to PM me and you can use ,my scanner to source and re -set those codes .. But checking what "Muke" said is more than likely going to fix your problem.
You shouldn't need to reset those. If there's no problem they should go away on there own. Playing with the computers can require matching it back up, but you didn't do that. I'm guessing it's a fault with the abs sensor. A scan tool capable of reading codes other than the P codes can confirm this, cheap ebay ones won't. However if you've got a multimeter, you can check. Test the resistance of the sensor. When mine died the good sensor would give a resistance in one direction only, the dead sensor was the same in either direction. The other big problem I've heard of is with the section of harness that plugs into the sensor being damaged from it not really being long enough and can be damaged with movement. Apparently a cheap plug in extension to replace from what I hear, not having to cut into the harness. So should be able to test that too with a multimeter. That's the first two things I'd check.

Morg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 SPORTWAGON and HK GTS MONARO.
Thanks to All,
Will retest sensor both ways, then go to loom (remember tugging at that a little, Ha!)
Hopefully can sort it out from your detailed responses,
Much appreciated. Morg.

Andrew2322

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden calias
My abs fault came up on dash with it affecting the speedometer doesn't change gears ? What's going on? Holden calias 2008