Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resetting your computer and trip computer special functions (VT - VX)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I am led to believe this is for both Gen III LS1 and V6 models, if this is not the case please let me know and I will change it to suit.

WARNING: You can damage your PCM if the ignition is not OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting PCM power

For a VX or VU Commodore replace Fuse No 31 with Fuse No 29 which is also a 10 amp but called "ENG CONT/BCM".

1. Ensure Engine Coolant Temperature is more than 80 degrees.

This information is relatively easy to find. While the car is turned off, hold down the MODE and UP Buttons on your trip computer, and turn the car on.

Trip_Computer.jpg

Use the MODE button to scroll through the information until you reach TEMP.

VT_Computer_CheckDash_Pic_Temp.jpg

It normally will only take a few minutes of back street driving to get the car up to the required temperature. I don't believe everyone bothers with this - but it probably makes the Idle Learn Procedure below easier. Although that is another thing not everyone bothers with...

2. Turn Ignition OFF * VERY IMPORTANT *

3. Remove PCM/BCM Fuse

For starters, grab the Fuse Tool from the main Fuse compartment. (Pull down the panel below the steering wheel, the fuses are on the right hand side, and the tool highlighted below. (Look up 'Fuse' in the owners manual.)

Cabin_Fuse_Panel.jpg

Next, pop the bonnet and open up the Engine Compartment fuse/relay panel) - just above the battery.

Fuse_Box.jpg

The fuse diagram should be under the lid of the engine compartment fuse box. You are after F31 - the "ENG. CONT/BCM" Fuse. It is a 10A - but can differ on later models.

Fuse_Box_Diagram.jpg

Use the Fuse tool above, and carefully remove the PCM Fuse. If the fuses are Brittle (as they can get if older), I suggests picking up a few backup fuses before you do this... just in case.

Fuse_To_Remove.jpg

4. Wait 20 Seconds

5. Replace the PCM/BCM Fuse

6. Perform the Idle Learn Procedure

For Automatic Transmissions:

1. Ensure Ignition off and PCM Fuse is back in place
  2. Set the park brake on and block the drive wheels
  3. Turn the Air Con / Climate Control OFF
  4. Start the Engine (Coolant temps should still be >80 deg.)
  5. Shift transmission into Drive
  6. Allow engine to idle for 5 minutes
  7. Shift transmission into Park
  8. Allow engine to idle for 5 minutes
  9. Turn the engine off for 30 seconds

For Manual Transmissions:

1. Ensure Ignition off and PCM Fuse is back in place
  2. Set the park brake on and block the drive wheels
  3. Turn the Air Con / Climate Control OFF
  4. Place transmission in Neutral
  5. Start the Engine (Coolant temps should still be >80 deg.)
  6. Allow engine to idle for 5 minutes
  7. Turn the engine off for 30 seconds

Thanks to the guys at HoldenLS1.com for letting me use the above information, also Doug from mytired.com for the images deserves a big thanks.

Redfox

Reaction score
What exactly does this whole operation allow you to do?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
This procedure only applies to LS1, For all others the IAC pintle position is set by the calibration, the reset procedure is done at every key off after the engine has been running for 5 seconds or more or by a serial data command from a Tech 2.

jgupte

Jughead
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive/VN Project
Upgrading VXII Cluster to 3 window

Hi.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.
I have a VXII Executive and I would like to upgrade the instrument cluster to one with the 3 LCD windows witht he full computer functions. What I would like to ask is will just changing the cluster give me the full functionality, or will I need to change some other component (like the BCM)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

vxv62005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais
Hi.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.
I have a VXII Executive and I would like to upgrade the instrument cluster to one with the 3 LCD windows witht he full computer functions. What I would like to ask is will just changing the cluster give me the full functionality, or will I need to change some other component (like the BCM)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

you need a higher level bcm

XU6_Boy

2008 Voodoo Blue SS-V 6.0
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore SS-V (Voodoo Blue)
I am led to believe this is for both Gen III LS1 and V6 models, if this is not the case please let me know and I will change it to suit.

WARNING: You can damage your PCM if the ignition is not OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting PCM power

For a VX or VU Commodore replace Fuse No 31 with Fuse No 29 which is also a 10 amp but called "ENG CONT/BCM".

1. Ensure Engine Coolant Temperature is more than 80 degrees.

This information is relatively easy to find. While the car is turned off, hold down the MODE and UP Buttons on your trip computer, and turn the car on.

Trip_Computer.jpg

Use the MODE button to scroll through the information until you reach TEMP.

Dash_Pic_Temp.jpg

It normally will only take a few minutes of back street driving to get the car up to the required temperature. I don't believe everyone bothers with this - but it probably makes the Idle Learn Procedure below easier. Although that is another thing not everyone bothers with...

Hi Guys

I know this has been mentioned a few times now, but could somebody please do a step-by-step instruction with piccies so we can all understand what the data is all about please. I can work out these one's... They are....:-

1. Are roughly digital Volts, Rev, Odo, speed, date of build (19990721) which is 21-July 1999, some kind of pressure reading and some other info that looks great, but I can't understand what they are. There seems to be a table that goes from 00-21 with a "un" after some of the numbers. Are these a fault code??

2. When you are due for a service, do you get a count down in km's and weeks/months under that particular time on the screen?

Can anybody with the inside knowledge be able to help myself and other with this?

Thanks

XU6_Boy

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Commodore VX Acclaim
Anyone tried this as of yet? I'm very curious as to see my temp & liters left in the tank function.
If so, any way to return back to the factory setting?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1