Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reshape

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
hey so on my vx s pac I had a dent just next to the fuel filler flap n I’m struggling to recreate the shape with bog I’ve pulled the dent out as much as I could before starting. Do I just need to put aload more bog on n slowly shape it or would there be an easier way

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Can you post a pic of the dent.
Sometimes fixing the dent can end up looking worse . Rattle can paint very rarely matched origional paint. And if you don't blend in the repair to the surrounding panel it will stick out like dogs nuts.

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
Can you post a pic of the dent.
Sometimes fixing the dent can end up looking worse . Rattle can paint very rarely matched origional paint. And if you don't blend in the repair to the surrounding panel it will stick out like dogs nuts.
I grab a pic tomorrow it’s looking just flat currently. I think to get the correct shape I should of let it dented n bogged ontop of it cause like u said looks worse.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Normally the best way to take care of a dent like this is PDR. Without a photo though it's hard to say if PDR would work.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Memory serves me right, it is a double panel right near the filler flap.....That being the case, it's either get a professional to take the dent out, pesever with filler to get the shape, or replace that portion of the panel, which would be a PITA

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Not much detail in what youve done..you said you pulled the dent out ...did you use a panel puller ,did you use a hammer and doly...did you roll it out...anyways description aside...if you think its been pulled out too much theres nothing stopping you whacking it back in a tad...its hard to go wrong with bog really it just takes a keen eye and layering ...plenty of sanding... Im no panelbeater but ive bogged some huge dents...lol Trick is to get it all smooth and matching the contour of the panel.... if you want it to set fast put more hardner in (this can also help slo it running down the panel in a wave)...40 grit sandpaper to get it close to the shape..100grit to smooth it ...mix up another small batch to fill in any pinholes then go higher grit to really smooth it off ...tape it off and prime it (if you want to) and apply topcoat and or clearcoat ....its tru that spraycans dont blend that well into current repairs but much of that depends on the color you are matching as some colors blend in better than others.... dont overthink it...dont be afraid to put more bog on or spread out wider to blend it in.....its not that tricky bogging up a dent really....the good news is if you dont like it ...you can grind/sand it out and start again ...just avoid grinding/sanding the metal outside the initial area you are wanting the bog to bond to .... Good Luck.... Most dodgy bog jobs ive seen are cause folk got lazy sanding and or didnt apply the bog in smooth layers with a clean scraper or knife... I use ice cream container lids to mix up bog on you get 2 batches out( 1 each side)...then throw away...always use clean surfaces to mix your bog ..always use clean scraper/knife...contaminants can stuff the layering.... when your sanding/smoothing starts to lightly scratch paint or starts showing metal outside of the repair area your where you need to be. Dont get too carried away an undercoat or primer will take care of any minor bog imperfections...yep you can get primers that have the ability to fill pinholes etc...with paint its better to go lightly (you dont want runs)...let it dry apply another coat...;) Something else you may need to be aware of is some paints dont like other paints and can react badly so you really need to be careful in what type of paint you buy... the paintshop folk should be able to help you out with that.. In the bad olde days in NZ it was not uncommon for many cars to be full of bog (structural as well as minor).... these days anything structural is a big no....a dent in a body panel is nothing....

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex