Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Residence location on posts

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Personal preference really.

In a city the size of adelaide and people who display/brag about their cars on a forum, there is nothing to stop someone being followed home from a cruise or event to have their residence cased out for the purpose of lifting/vandalising someones pride and joy.

Sometimes it's just not worth the risk, but if someone wants to know where you live, there are always ways of finding out.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
lol, I have to agree with you here.

As far as I am concerned, privacy is hardly an issue, you must be in some pretty serious trouble with people if you do not wish to disclose the region you live in.

You need to consider also people who have been in domestic violence situations also. I know of women that have moved state and are very secretive about their location because of a violent ex partner.

Just because privacy is not an issue for some on here, there is a plethora of reasons why some people wish to hide their location, and it doesn't mean they are in serious trouble.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
**** Sash, I think you have a thing about women and domestic violence. I don't want to know where people llve, just a rough idea of the region or state to assist with some simple "why/how/where?" matters.

Can we leave the bloody domestic violence crap out of this forum?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Not here to fight over domestic violence. no more on it please.

People can put in a fake location provided they don't expect specific answers to locational questions. simple.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
She does have a point though, that for various reasons people like to keep their whereabouts private. From time to time you also see certain members getting personal, sad but true. I know if I was ever at the receiving end I'd feel better knowing my location was fairly discreet.

In the majority of cases it's enough to know which state people are in, and for most members they've already got it posted on their profile. There are some gooses who put things like "Eastern suburbs" and you think "Yeah, east of bloody where?" but for the most part you can figure it out. Worst case you have to ask them :p

Perhaps an in-between option would be to make the location field mandatory, but have an option for "Withheld" (or similar), so it's not just one of those fields people skip over and leave blank. That way people who don't mind saying where they are will, and those who don't want to will be able to keep it private. You're forced to do one or the other though.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I appreciate most of the points made, regardless of whether they are for or against the suggestion.

I'm happy to leave it with Minux and the other mods to consider and will run with their decision.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i don't really see why a location has to be posted at all unless you are selling something.
i've got absolutely nothing to hide but still don't see the need to disclose my location

i'm from Qld and that's about all you'll be getting out of me:p

Last edited: